Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that it would be a good idea to change original air filter for a K & N filter.

Anyone done that and has it improved performance/mpg. What is the cost and is it an air filter change or the whole air filter box?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered mine on line from http://www.filterpower.co.uk/ who are kinnor services the main European agents for K & N.

After paying my money and waiting a month for delivery contacted CC company and got full refund. Checked my local Halfords and on line and they did not have them in stock, so still looking for the air filter.

A lot on Ebay but not the right one for a T31 exy. needs part 33-2944.

G

·
Where is the air filter to replace? Sorry i sound dumb! Is it straight forward 'pull one out and push another in?'

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fitted a K&N Panel filter to my XT a few weeks ago. Didnt want to go the CAI route as I plan I going off road a fair bit so might aim for the odd puddle or two.
Its easy to change just pop the four clips on the air filter box on the NS of the vehicle. I would recommend undoing the pipe clip that goes to the MAF as it makes it easier to lift the lid of the filter box, just make sure you don't get any muck down the pipe. Then just swap the paper element for the K&N one. Put it back together and start it up. Leave it for a moment or two to make sure your idles, etc seem ok then off you go.

G

·
this is my only suggestion that i can say.i hope you appreciated it,

"Many filters that appear to be dirty are in fact still good and do not really need to be replaced. So it's up to you. If you think it's dirty, replace it. If you don't think it's dirty enough to need replacing, then don't. "

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
In the past I have fitted K&N panel filters and also induction units to various cars. Induction units make a difference but getting a cold air supply to them is vital - no good collecting hot air from the engine bay. I have never found a truley noticable difference with the K&N panel filters against a good clean OEM filter. If anything, getting a better air flow to the existing panel filter may achieve more than changing the filter as the ducting flattens out at the end restricting air flow - how good can that be?
I don't know if anyone else finds this, but when I have given the car a very good clean both inside and out, the car seems to run better! This is because you like it again, it makes you feel good so you tend to drive it with more enthusiasm and you think it's running better. Therefore, a cheap and effective way to "gain increased power with better pick up and acceleration" is to keep you car clean - sorted! I'm not a canny Scot for nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts