Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My T31 has just developed a knocking noise that I have traced to the crankshaft pulley. Having removed the belt, the pulley seems to be in two parts and the grooved pulley at the back that the belt goes around is loose. I can actually rattle it with my hands.

I assume it it a simple replacement job (if I can find one) but how do you get it off??

Mark

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have the new pulley this afternoon.

Can anyone tell me the torque setting for pulley bolt? Must get myself a manual for the T31.

I will post some pics when I finish.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Inishanier said:
Should have the new pulley this afternoon.

Can anyone tell me the torque setting for pulley bolt? Must get myself a manual for the T31.

I will post some pics when I finish.

Mark
Crankshaft Pulley bolt M9R torque 50.0 N·m (5.1 kg-m, 37 ft-lb)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the first pulley from the auto parts store was the wrong one. They wanted £130 and I was wiling to pay it to get back on the road. After that I decided to wait for a genuine Renault part and found one for £79 + postage. Bargain but it only arrived today. 15 mins to fit.

This was the problem with the old one.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mark,

How did you manage to undo the pulley bolt?
I've been experiencing a knock/rattle from that area too. Looks like I need a special tool of some sort to stop the crank from turning.

George.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George

I used a very risky process that I found on utube. It involves fixing a socket and breaker bar on the pulley nut, securing the handle to the sub frame and then..... Turn the engine. The key is not starting the engine.

Worked for me but scary!!!

Have a look.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mark,

Call me a chicken but I don't have the *&^%$ to try that. My luck I'd probably cause damage, to me, never mind the car!
I spoke to the local Renault dealer yesterday. They had a very similar noise problem recently on a Laguna. They traced it to pulley being likely cause hitting the engine cover. Ordered a new on in. When it arrived it felt just as 'squishey' as the old but they replaced it anyway. No sign of damage to the old pulley but signs of very light scoring on the engine cover. Knocking/ticking noise is now gone. Only prob is they want €230 plus 23%vat for a new one! That's just to supply it, no fitting.

Did you check your air con pulley? Mine rotates real smooth but I can rock it a tiny amount if I grab at 9oc and 3oc with my thumb and fingers.
Is that normal?

Thanks,
George.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
George

Frankly that's ridiculous! Keeping looking on fleabay, one will turn up. Then take it to the local garage. 10 minutes will fit it.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had. I didn't explore any further.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mark,

Job done!!

In searching through my garage I found an 'impact gun'.....looks very like an air gun but runs off the car battery. Receipt was still in the box, bought in 2005 and forgot I had it, never been used.

As soon as I took the pulley off it was obvious.....substantial scoring on the engine cover.

Replaced with a s/h pulley from a Renault (€50). Perfect.

Cheers,
George.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ghquattro said:
Hi Mark,

Job done!!

In searching through my garage I found an 'impact gun'.....looks very like an air gun but runs off the car battery. Receipt was still in the box, bought in 2005 and forgot I had it, never been used.

As soon as I took the pulley off it was obvious.....substantial scoring on the engine cover.

Replaced with a s/h pulley from a Renault (€50). Perfect.

Cheers,
George.
Bit of an old post to query BUT how did you know which renault to source the part from and silly question no doubt but does the nut come off anti clockwis as you look at it??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reply to a very old post but it came up on a search for the knocking problem.

I've got the same issue so have ordered a new aftermarket pulley, while it is off I will change the belt as it can't have done that much good.

Hopefully it hasn't damaged the plastic timing chain cover too badly!

The M9R engine is used in loads of different vehicles so cross referencing some of the parts can throw up good cost savings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sure enough, my pulley rubber had split when I got the pulley off.

What a SOB that was to shift! It isn't a 22mm headed bolt so I found a big old imperial ring spanner that fitted, wedged the other end against the chassis and gave the starter a quick flick. Undid it first time with no drama at all.

Got to wait for the new belt and pulley to arrive to finish the job off.

20200205_132454.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ducatiman said:

What a SOB that was to shift! It isn't a 22mm headed bolt so I found a big old imperial ring spanner that fitted, wedged the other end against the chassis and gave the starter a quick flick. Undid it first time with no drama at all.

Was there any visible signs of damage on the cover like others have mentioned...if so could you take a pic? My m9r has just developed a knocking/tick noise intermittently on idle...was thinking it was maybe this issue or timing chain tensioner

·
Registered
12 Posts
sleepy said:
Ducatiman said:

Was there any visible signs of damage on the cover like others have mentioned...if so could you take a pic? My m9r has just developed a knocking/tick noise intermittently on idle...was thinking it was maybe this issue or timing chain tensioner
All back together now so no photos, there was very little wear on the camchain cover, more a slight polished area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.