Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey huys! My 2003 Sport X is giving me a bit of bother. Apart from being noisy as hell it has a problem on the front end, most noticeably on the drivers side. Any bump I go over tends to create a knocking noise, which will turn into a rumble over repeated bumps. The bump can be felt through the pedals and the steering wheel. It will also do it when I change gear, but will also do it without the transmission engaged. The steering is a little wonky, so the steering wheel is central either. Im hoping its something minor like bushes etc.

Its going into a garage tomorrow as I know nothing of suspension geometry and don't have the facility to be lifting the car up to check these things.

Does anyone have an idea as to what Im lookng at here?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
First thing I would check for would be the tracking - could just need adjusting or could be worn track rod ends? Your guys will be checking for tracking and wheel balance when you take it in tomorrow. Would also be worth checking wheel bearings I would think? Someone else here may have more technical advise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that vandy, Im hoping its something fairly straight forward. Its going to a good bloke tomorrow who is both a good mechanic and a family friend so he'll be straight up. I dont mind getting it done as I like the car and will be keeping it for the snowboarding trips this winter! I'll be back to let you know how right or wrong you were when I find out the outcome!

Umbongo, Ive been reading the oil threads with interest and will certainly follow your recommendations, thankyou very much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got it back! My 65+ year old mechanic said the drivers side had 'the worst track rod end Ive seen in a long time' and the left wasnt 'much better' he he. So two new track rod ends, new brake pads and its like a new car. Only 135 notes too. Well chuffed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.