Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

i have a nissan x trail 2.2 dci manual on a 54 plate and for some strange reason it keeps loosing power. It will drive ok for a while boosting fine and doing what it should then if i sit in traffic or stop for a short period of time it will then have nothing. It is like driving without a turbo and it wont go past 4000rpm.

I thought at first it may be because i run it low on diesel and it sucked some grit from the tank so i have used injector cleaner and had 2 tanks of fuel through it but it seems to still suffer the problem.

Am i missing something or is this the start of something serious ??? i know the car has had a new egr valve fitted before i owned it as well.

Any help would be gratefully received

Tony

·
Registered
43 Posts
tonyc said:
Hi all

i have a nissan x trail 2.2 dci manual on a 54 plate and for some strange reason it keeps loosing power. It will drive ok for a while boosting fine and doing what it should then if i sit in traffic or stop for a short period of time it will then have nothing. It is like driving without a turbo and it wont go past 4000rpm.

I thought at first it may be because i run it low on diesel and it sucked some grit from the tank so i have used injector cleaner and had 2 tanks of fuel through it but it seems to still suffer the problem.

Am i missing something or is this the start of something serious ??? i know the car has had a new egr valve fitted before i owned it as well.

Tony
Hi Tony.

I am far from an expert but it could be your fuel filter? Do a search on here, think there is a few threads about it.

Cheers Stuart. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Rover said:
tonyc said:
Hi all

Tony
Hi Tony.

I am far from an expert but it could be your fuel filter? Do a search on here, think there is a few threads about it.

Cheers Stuart. :thumbs:
Will the fuel filter cause it to go into limp mode though ???

·
Registered
28 Posts
The engine computer is fed by sensors which monitor the fuel pressure and air flow constantly, comparing the data with predicted levels according to the engine requirements- acceleration, decelleration, torque, load, rpm etc. If the sensors record data that falls outside these parameters, as would be the case with blocked fuel or air filters, it will put the engine into limp mode as an emergency measure, the aim of which is to prevent excess damage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had something similar this morning.

All was well as i drove round the m25 but once i pulled off and stopped the car struggled to get going again. Was fine in 1st and 2nd but in 3rd and 4th it felt very hesitant. Did this for about 2 miles then seemed to clear??!!

Hasnt gone into limp mode yet and idles fine, be interesting to see what happens on the journey home.

May change the feul filter anyway, just to be sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrr, much worse this morning!!

When i described the symptoms over the phone to my local independant garage they were also very quick to suggest a blocked feul filter.

Its going in on thursday, was about time for a service anyway, ill let you know how it gets on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tony,
A friend of my brother had to limp home with his Vauxhall Vectra his problem was a blocked catalitic converta, I'm no mechanic, I thought this may help and shed some light on it as I am an electrician.
all the best John

·
Registered
19 Posts
clarki said:

When i described the symptoms over the phone to my local independant garage they were also very quick to suggest a blocked feul filter.

Its going in on thursday, was about time for a service anyway, ill let you know how it gets on.
Same Problem with mine, would happen once or twice a week. If I turned the engine off for a sec (occasionally on the move :) :biggrin: ) then turn it back on again the problem would disappear. My local garage also suggested the fuel filter - they replaced it and now working perfectly :mrgreen:

·
Registered
73 Posts
bigshuguk said:
clarki said:

Same Problem with mine, would happen once or twice a week. If I turned the engine off for a sec (occasionally on the move :) :biggrin: ) then turn it back on again the problem would disappear. My local garage also suggested the fuel filter - they replaced it and now working perfectly :mrgreen:
Yup, feul filter replaced now and glad to say she's back to full health and we're very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.