Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been pondering the idea of changing some of the minor (side, stop / tail, indicator) bulbs for LEDs. No real reason other than it would be a bit different. I was wondering in any of you others had tried this or given it any thought. I'm not sure it it would be fairly straightforward (are replacement LED bulbs readily available) or if there is a bit more to it than that.
I understand that I would probably need a different flasher unit for the indicators if they were changed.

Any thoughts anyone ? :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi dundeebob,

My main recommendation would be to double check the connections that your current bulbs use. I had purchased a led stop/tail bulb which was the one recommended by the shop for my X-Trail model and year, but when I went to put it on it didnt have the staggered pins and was the T10 style push in bulb, a larger version of the 501 wedges like in the sidelights.

The front sidelights pose a problem due to the blue filter and cause any white led to shine a pale blue, normal bulbs seem to stay clear!
I have fitted chrome/amber side repeater bulbs to get rid of the fried egg look on clear lenses, rear number plate led lights and changed some of the interior bulbs for leds, like the door mounted puddle lights.

Shop around on the web as you can get them a lot cheaper than the blister packs in shops.

Jamie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably a bit off topic :eek:fftopic: , but relevant enough, I bought new "white" LED christmas lights for my tree last year and they look a little blue, I believe this is because normal "white" lights are actually a little on the yellow side. This may be the reason that white LED's look a little blue, or I could be totally wrong and it is the reflector causing the light to seem blue. Maybe the reflector is to make normal (slightly yellow) bulbs appear more white! - now i'm just confusing myself.............. :headbang:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jamie,
Thanks for your reply. I've had a quick look on the web but the bulbs seem to be a bit more expensive than I thought they would be. Perhaps I'll just keep looking meantime - or stick with the 'normal' bulbs :idea:
Cheers,
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts