Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

New to the forum and have searched for the answer but still can't find.

So The problem is, I have a 04 Plate 2.2dci, after the car sits idling it goes into limp mode, no fault light appears, I also have quite a bad smell of fumes inside the car.
a quick off and on of the ignition fixes the problem,

having read quite a bit on various forums i was led to the EGR valve.

I took the top off and gave it a clean with Carb cleaner, and sprayed some down around the valve, it seemed to be quite smooth.

The problem still exists, could it be the solenoid/Actuator not working (not sure what its called)
I'm unsure how to test this?

I have had 2 new turbo's one at 9000 miles and 1 at 33000,(now at 60000) and remember when i picked the car up the second time, i had to wait as there was still a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust, not sure if its relevant.

any help would be greatfully received before i spend a fortune in a garage
Lee

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Lee, there's not a lot you can really do other than to change the filters and see if it makes a difference again, the pumps on these are known for trouble if the fuel is not clean that's why I've always gone and paid the extra for BP Ultimate or the shell equivalent. The only way you can find out what's going wrong is to take it to garage and get it hooked up to a computer for testing. There is a suction valve on the end of the pump that's held on with two bolts that do give problems with this pump and the part № is: NA6860AW42B and will set you back about £100-150 from main dealer, but if you were to fit it yourself you'd have the problem of having the code cleared and then it has to be set up with the consult ll Nissan's own tool. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But what about the possibility of the EGR solenoid not working.

I've read you can test if you connect a 9V battery across the pins, but not sure which of the 6 they are

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Lee, I wasn't referring to the Egr for testing being hooked up, you need to see what the fault codes are stored. The 9v battery test that you talked about, where did you read about that for testing?....................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seen it on another forum,

Can't remember the exact procedure, but if you connect a 9v battery across 2 of the pins then the solenoid will actuate, this will prove that the EGR is not faulty,

As the EGR moves to 4 different levels, then its just a voltage change that will change the amount the valve moves,

It wasn't on a Nissan forum but as its an electrical controlled valve, the procedure must be the same

edited above post, Found maint manual will read

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.