Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Basically the locking wheel nut key I have with my car(2006 XTrail) has completely disintegrated. Now have called the dealer to get a new one and they say they cant order one without a key number, which was apparently on a piece of paper with the nuts(Now I cant find this paper anywhere!) have called Nissan UK and they agree with the dealer.

How bad an idea is this that the information isn't recorded with the car!

Has anyone got round this problem?

Trying to get a puncture repaired and our local tyre place wont touch the repair till I get a new socket.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good point, my XT bought second hand has no number! On my previous Mazda with the same kind of nuts, I had one fail and my local tyre dealer got it off by hammering on a socket. He charged me for the socket and the puncture. In your case it would be 4 sockets.
You have now got me worried about mine!
On my mazda I then bought a new set for about £25 from mazda, although talking with the tyre guys I did wonder if locking wheel nuts are worth fitting. If a garage can hammer them off, so can anyone else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also noticed that the front locking nut itself has rusted and disintegrated in places on one front wheel.
Time for these to come off I think.
Doesnt say much for there build quality this car is only a few years old and its not like I have used the socket more than twice!
Great build quality here!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
clast07 said:
I have also noticed that the front locking nut itself has rusted and disintegrated in places on one front wheel.
Doesnt say much for there build quality this car is only a few years old and its not like I have used the socket more than twice!
The Mazda ones were identical and identical to the ones in Halfords, oddly, the Mazda ones were slightly cheaper. No, they don't look very sound, I think it essential to use a torque wrench to avoid damaging them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I just looked in the handbook wallet that came with my xt, and scrunched up in the bottom was a leaflet with the wheel nut code printed on. Perhaps your is also snuck away? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
chrisuk said:
I just looked in the handbook wallet that came with my xt, and scrunched up in the bottom was a leaflet with the wheel nut code printed on. Perhaps your is also snuck away? :biggrin:
p.s. I note the leaflet says do not use an air gun. I bet most garages do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMHO, I think locking wheel nuts is a waste of money... the theives will take your wheels with or without the locking wheel nuts.... and like stated above... the garages use the air gun on them and at time forget to give you back your wheel key...

G

·
clast07 said:
Thanks for the advice will do that.
Any advice on a good sturdy set of locking nuts?
That will hopefully last longer than the ones supplied by Nissan.
Trust me there are not any good locking wheel nuts .I have managed a tyre depot for 20 years, problems come with all designs,either use normal nuts or make sure they are well greased and not rumped right up.If someone is going to steal wheels, the chance is they will steal the car then take the wheels off.

G

·
chrisuk said:
clast07 said:
The Mazda ones were identical and identical to the ones in Halfords, oddly, the Mazda ones were slightly cheaper. No, they don't look very sound, I think it essential to use a torque wrench to avoid damaging them.
A torque wrench will over tighten them, and they also tighten up themself with driving, just a small nick up with wheel key( dont tighten like the normsl nuts)

·
Registered
210 Posts
the xtrail locking nuts are better than the peugeot type i found, i had to remove the nut when my key broke and im sure it was the garage as i saw them using that bl**dy stupid air gun puting the locking nuts in, I said at the time thats wrong but it was already done, the next tyre change they broke it and could continue and i pointed out what happened the last time. they shut up pretty quick and changed the tyres and put on normal bolts without charge. i was glad as i didnt trust the peugeot locking nuts anyway.

But the peugeot key had 4 little pins that griped the stud, at least with the xtrail type its a complete star with more contact surface with the nut itself. but we'l see as iv only needed to remove the 4 wheels twice. And i just use a extendable wrench gently easing then off.

I hate stupid 16 year old looking boys in tyre garages thinking there cool using airguns

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had to change a flat xmas week and our XT doesn't have any! They must have been removed & binned by a previous owner.....

I had a set of McGard ones on my almera & found them very good.... I even lost the key / socket thing while changing a flat (was in a major rush and left it on the nut when I finished :headbang: ) and they made up a new one for me which was delivered within a week.... I did still have the original packaging though which had the information I required...

http://www.mcgard.com/

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you think the nissn ones are no good, then buy an audi, they are terrible, i removed the audi ones and replaced them with mcguard, the mcguard are 100% better , i think they cost about £25, i bought mine online

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.