Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday 2 of my power window switch stop working(passenger front and driver back.. although i could still control them via the main driver switch),, checked ebay and they were selling it £20 a piece which is too much for me, so i decided to fixed it myself (also wondered why it stopped working as it hardly been used) .Found out that the contact bit wasn't contacting properly because of some black powder stuff that has been accumulated over the years(i supposed).....,it was just a matter of cleaning it with a little bit of lighter fluid and scraping all of those black thingy with my lovely jobly swiss knife and it was all sorted,, took me half an hour to fixed both switches(saves me £40 though :lol: )

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Koymik

Well done. The black powder might be due to the contacts burning over the years.

Whenever I seperate 12volt contacts I clean them as you did , then apply a smear of electrical contact grease as I put them back together. Basically it excludes air and prevents burning or oxidation (a bit like vaseline on battery contacts). At least that's how I understand it.

I use it on the caravan/car plug and sockets and never have a problem when I hook up. Also on the contacts when replacing bulbs (I did this on my last caravan and never needed to replace a bulb in 18 years)

You should be able to get a tube from any auto electrical workshop.

Xacre

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, thats a pretty good idea , imight do that next time they stop working again,, thanks :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts