Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.2di Mk1 69,000 mile xt has started to what seems like misfire when accelerating or when slightly under load.
It has only started since I filled up with BP fuel, I normally use supermarkets.
I have drained the fuel filter, checked for leaks or possible loose connections.
If I rev the engine when stationary its revs smoothly, it's only when under load it happens.
Can anyone think of another cause?
Fuel/Air filters were replaced end of Sept during Nissan service and all was fine then.
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the xt into local Nissan dealer who has diagnosed 'fuel contamination'

They checked for Pump timing, injector pressure and fuel line leaks, all which turned out OK.

I am to run the current tank down till warning light comes on and then fill up with known good fuel.

I had originaly put in normal BP diesel so will try Shell.

I will keep you posted.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not a case of petrol instead of diesel? If not, this sounds iffy to me. Mine had a slight problem, similiar to yours and it went back into the stealership to be re-mapped. Something to do with engine emissions etc. Drives better now and slightly better mpg too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No defo Diesel, have receipt with it on and have been back to garage to check which pump used, also asked if anyone else had problems, but no was the answer.
I have drained fuel filter, no water evident, nearly run tank down now so will try cleaner that Nissan dealer gave me to put once fuel light was on.
Xt still has symptoms but noticed varies daily in its performance.
Seems to run better when cold damp weather is about.
Onwards and downwards
Mark V

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2.2 DCi Sport T30 has a similar problem. When under load and always in 4th gear around 62mph, I get a flat spot. The car will not accelerate at all. If I take my foot off the accelerator and re apply it goes fine.
This started to happen a couple of months ago and would happen now and again. I started using diesel injector cleaner and the problem doesn't appear as often. When I asked my local Nissan dealer about the problem they immediatly blamed the fuel pump, stating that the X Trail is still having some teething problems with the pump. To me it could be numerous things that could be causing it which is why I said to them that if it was the fuel pump why does it only happen around 62mph.
If the problem starts to come back again on a regular basis then I may have a look at the accelerator speed sensor or work unit on the diesel, I take it it will be like a sliding potentiometer giving differant voltages to the ECU at different positions.
I have changed / checked the usual suspects but to no avail. :x
David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its sorted.........
I have changed the fuel filter and beld the fuel sustem as per the book and its seems to have cured it.
The fuel filter was very very tight coming off, a lot tighter than I imagined, I replaced it with the same brand, fitted new seals, conected up, pumped the primer, started her up and all OK.

I have now driven 45 miles without any sign of misfire, the xt seesm to respond much better and does not kick out as much black smoke as before.

Many thanks for your help, I will let you know if it returns.

Mark V

G

·
Like Ibster I too am glad you got this sorted and that you have posted your problem & remedy as I too am experiencing same problem. I had been thinking it was "bad" diesel after filling up from a m-way service station last week. Just gone through a new tank of diesel from usual garage and although problem hadn't gone altogether it was definitely less frequent. Now on 2nd new fill-up since problem started and hope to find it has cleared. If not I will replace filter, which was only replaced 2 weeks ago as part of service, and monior problem.
What cleaner for fuel system is recommended - Is it one of the additives that goes in the tank? Is bleeding the fuel system a complicated job or a straightforward one for the DIY mechanic?

Simon

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had a similar problem yesterday, just after filling with Shell at my usual garage, a mile or so down the road (@ 40 mph on a dual carridgeway) the X started to judder quite a bit, felt like I was driving over rumble strips on the road!
This happend a few times over the next five miles before clearing up for the remainder of the journey, with no such problems on the return journey, I did not notice any loss of power or black smoke, in fact the car remained at a constant speed, this is the first time my engine's ever missed a beat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have reported this problem before, I have a 2.2d (112bhp)X trail sport, it has a habit of misfiring on acceleration between 1800 and 3000 revs usually when under load.

I usually change the fuel filter and it goes away for 5 - 6 months.

So 1 month ago it started its misfire, I changed the fuel filter, all well, then this week its back.

I have checked all the fuel lines for leaks, none noticeable.

A mechanic friend said it could be the Fuel Filter Primer pump letting in air, he says common fault on some Ford models.

I rang the local Nissan Stealer, £157 for a replacement.

Should I disconnect the pipes and run it through an inline filter to check this, or has anyone a better idea.
I did think about putting in a new system like that used on Citroen/Pug models?

Any comments.

·
Registered
34 Posts
just had the same problem. local magician/mechanic. diagnosed dirty fuel. aparently there is no plug to pull on fuel tank to drain it (or is he lying) changed fuel filters. cleaned out pipes?

ecu went in get home mode when idle and when hooked up to nissan computer said fuel pump faulty. local stealer wanted about £2000 to get it repaired. my magician/mechanic did all work needed (drained fuel tank replaced filters cleaned fuel tank and all pipes and cleaned out fuel pump? and lots of additives in tank to clean up what he missed) all for £370. works a dream and no problems since, 140 miles ago.

he was a bit sceptical about having to replace fuel pump because when ignition turned off and back on the car would drive normally until stationary when the light came on and it went into sget home mode. so pump logically worked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, but I may have fixed it and hope I dont have to go for new pump :sad:

I have cleaned the EGR which wasn't as bad as thought be still had carbon deposits.

I then beld the filter again and got a friend to pump primer when first starting.

After small test run it seems fine but will nedd to monitor next week.

I shall keep you posted.

Here are a few pics of my EGR

Mark

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts