Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one had this problem with their xtrail? the offside front headlight unit has gone all cloudy inside :roll:
can the headlight units be opened up and cleaned and if so I would appreciate any advice in how to remove the unit and open it up.

Cheers

Greenie
aka Steve

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Hi Steve,
It seems to be a common problem with all Nissan models after time. Take a look at the pdf file as for dismantling the headlamp unit I'm not sure if you can they seem to be a sealed unit. Vandy, one of our members a few weeks back said he was going to have ago at dismantling one, I don't know how it turned out he never said, maybe you could send him a pm.

EXTERIOR LAMP FOGGING
View attachment EXTERIOR LAMP FOGGING.pdf

Headlamp removal

View attachment Headlamp removal T30.pdf

Grille clips removal

download/file.php?id=836

Spare clips can be bought on ebay :thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIM-CLIPS-X- ... 5754507296

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Greenie

Read your post. Umbongo is right - I was going to do dome alteration work to my headlights but couldn'd find the right parts so didn't do it. The condensation may be forming due to the seal but could also be from a hole/crack somewhere else?
Not too sure what to suggest but have a really good look around the back of the fitting and see if there is anything obvious before you take the whole thing appart. Not much help I know but can't think of an easy way of finding the cause.

Make sure the side light bulb is seated properly - you may not notice this as you would if your headlamp bulb was dis-lodged?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good news I have sorted my headlight unit out!

As per my other post my Xtrail has just come out of the Nissan garage for a tempertaure issue. Whilst in there I enquired about if there was anything I could do with the headlight. They stated a new head light unit would cost £200 but the service guy suggested rubbing over the outside of the lense with a bit of TCut.

What can happen is that the plastic reacts and goes this cloudy colour. He apparently had the same issue on his Micra and had found that this solved the problem.
So a trip to the shops and £6.99 later I was on my drive rubbing the headlight down and now it looks as good as new!

A much better result than buying a new headlight unit!! A good day

·
Registered
214 Posts
My son had the same issue on a passat ..

Same solution too.. except he was advised to give the lamps a good coat of polish as it helps preserve the now unsealed surface which is left after the t-cut.

I wonder would some clear film of some sort be a longer lasting fix ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.