Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title ... was going down dual carriageway today in my X-Trail and as i hit 70ish i developed a front wheel wobble which i've never had before ... i've had a whirring sound for a while but never being able to trace it tbh ... it was about a 20min journey in total when i got to my bro's house i got out and could smell a burning sort of smell ... like brakes sort of smell and the front nearside wheel was hot!! ... i jacked car up checked for movent in the bearing etc but seemed to be ok? ... What you's guys reken ... Wheel bearing? Brake hanging on? ... any help will be much appreciated! ;-)

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
K1LVY said:
As title ... was going down dual carriageway today in my X-Trail and as i hit 70ish i developed a front wheel wobble which i've never had before ... i've had a whirring sound for a while but never being able to trace it tbh ... it was about a 20min journey in total when i got to my bro's house i got out and could smell a burning sort of smell ... like brakes sort of smell and the front nearside wheel was hot!! ... i jacked car up checked for movent in the bearing etc but seemed to be ok? ... What you's guys reken ... Wheel bearing? Brake hanging on? ... any help will be much appreciated! ;-)
The X-Trail is noted for the wheel bearing locking nut working loose over time as I've experienced it myself about 3 years back now. I would re torque the setting on nut first and check if it goes away.Nissan have known from the 1st build of the X-Trail that there is a problem that the bearing nut can become loose but they have never addressed it. I always check mine every 6 months or when I have wheel off as I don't fancy loosing a wheel at high speed.

Torque Setting Front Bearing
View attachment Binder 1.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i jacked car up today found no play what so ever in bearing BUT found out that the f/n/s brake was hanging on ... so i stripped caliper off pushed pistons right out (only one of them was siezed) cleaned all the rust off reasembled them with some nice copperslip ... and done other side so it didn't feel left out lol ... and booga me its got brakes now they nearly put me through the windscreen lol ... took it for a test drive no more wobble that i can see and when i got back no more hot wheel ... so looks like i've sorted that prob :thumbs: ... but while i was sorting that problem i've noticed my n/s lower ball joint is u/s :headbang: :bigcry: ... i noticed its a sort of sealed item 1 piece :roll: ... Bottom wishbone ... so i take it i replace the whole wishbone do i or is there something else on the market for just changing the ball joint? :oops:

Ps. Thanks again for the advice ... i joined another so called X-Trail forum when i first got it ... :( ... load of **** too clicky clicky am well impressed over here already! :bow:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umbongo said:
Cliffy said:
would this also explain a metal clanking noise when going over speed bumps??
Sounds more like something to do with suspension to me.Jack it up and have a look at your springs and check for leaks from strut and also your rubber bushes.
Could also be bottom ball joint as i was getting a sort of clunking noise aswel from mine and found today mine is knackered! ;-)

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
K1LVY said:
Well i jacked car up today found no play what so ever in bearing BUT found out that the f/n/s brake was hanging on ... so i stripped caliper off pushed pistons right out (only one of them was siezed) cleaned all the rust off reasembled them with some nice copperslip ... and done other side so it didn't feel left out lol ... and booga me its got brakes now they nearly put me through the windscreen lol ... took it for a test drive no more wobble that i can see and when i got back no more hot wheel ... so looks like i've sorted that prob :thumbs: ... but while i was sorting that problem i've noticed my n/s lower ball joint is u/s :headbang: :bigcry: ... i noticed its a sort of sealed item 1 piece :roll: ... Bottom wishbone ... so i take it i replace the whole wishbone do i or is there something else on the market for just changing the ball joint? :oops:

Ps. Thanks again for the advice ... i joined another so called X-Trail forum when i first got it ... :( ... load of **** too clicky clicky am well impressed over here already! :bow:
Get suspension parts from milners and save yourself some money.

Link
http://www.milneroffroad.com/index.php? ... 3_172_2994

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
canny price that ... m8 works for nissan going to price one up tomorrow don't think he'l be able to match that mind ... al wait to hear from him tomorrow and if no good al get one ordered from milners ;-) ... cheers again ... they don't look too bad too change? do you know of any prob's when changing them? :shock:

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
K1LVY said:
canny price that ... m8 works for nissan going to price one up tomorrow don't think he'l be able to match that mind ... al wait to hear from him tomorrow and if no good al get one ordered from milners ;-) ... cheers again ... they don't look too bad too change? do you know of any prob's when changing them? :shock:
I've not had to change any bushes on mine yet but I do have them in ready for that day when I think they'll need doing.At my last M.O.T they told me that my Dust boots on the shocks would need changing as they were torn & split so that's a job for the summer.When I asked Nissan for the price of the Dust boots they told me that they were going to cost me £44.00 each for a rubber boot :eek: so I've done some searching around and have got a universal pair for £26.00 that's better quality than the genuine part as they're polyurethane and should last the life of the vehicle. :grin:
Link for bump stops & dust cover.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... =PFXBS009K

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:grin: Well I've ordered the wishbone from Milners last nite so just waiting for it too arrive :thumbs:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umbongo said:
K1LVY said:
:grin: Well I've ordered the wishbone from Milners last nite so just waiting for it too arrive :thumbs:
Just out of interest what was the price from your mate that works at Nissan?.......................
Am not too sure where he got price from but it was just over £140 :eek: ... £100.17 from Milners! :grin:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well recieved the wishbone from Milners today and fitted it tonight in the rain lol ... only prob i had was bottom ball joint nut i had to split it off in the end :whistle: ... other than that straight forward nooo prob's! :thumbs: ... Viola no clunk! :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.