Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right first off I am completely mad. No need to question my sanity or lack therefore of. I bought my nissan Xtrail just over a year ago and love it. I have brought it off road to a good degree and it has never let me down.
So the other night I am watching videos of people in X Trails Worldwide offroading on YouTube. And I think to myself well it looks like its more capable than I could have possibly imagined. So I decide to myself with a few relativley minor modifcations it could be made into an expedition class off roader.
My plan is this.
To modify my Xtrail (only slightly mind).
Tyres, Raising suspension, snorkel, roof tent, underbody protector, Grille Gaurd, winch and spot lights.
After having completed that,
hop in the Chunnel and drive.
Across europe into Russia, Khazackstan, Mongolia, Siberia Ukraine.
Now bear in mind that these areas have some of the roughest terrain known to man. Yours talking crazy mud, rock climbing, hill accents river crossings unbelievable weather etc etc etc.
So to get to the point. do you all think I will come back in a box or do you think that the X trail can do it?
Nissan seem to think there is no limit to what the car can do. But they would say that. The distinct disadvantage is the lack of a low range box. But on proper tyres I dont think that this would be a major issue. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well I would like to think with the right tyres on, your X-Trail will be just fine. However I think perhaps you should take a Discovery 3 or Defender along as back up. ;) ;) ;)

Oh and I wouldn't say your mad. In fact we might join you. :lol: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks scottie, i might just offer you the chance if i can. I am petitioning Nissan for some form of formal Sponsorship. They claim it can. I think they need to put their money where their mouth is lol. I think if Nissan are involved though it will have to be a patrol backing me up lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jay,

You need to remember and keep in mind that this vehicle is classed as "soft roader" and it will always remain like that no matter how many modifications you throw at it. It is true that it is toughest soft-roader in its class and is capable of performing really well in off-road conditions, but for what you have in mind in terms of the list of adventures you're planning to take your xtrail through, it just wont cut it.

For the money you gonna spend lifting, snorkeling...etc your exy, you might as well go and buy a second hand hard core 4WD and go for this trip...or just tow it behind the exy as the "recovery and emergency vehicle" LOL :)

As for Nissan's statement that there is no limit when it comes to the exy, well, it's not entirely true, it does have limits and if you take it off-road you will soon find out about them, having said that, you will be amazed by the limits it can reach, but still...it can not be compared to a true, hard-core, full time 4WD with low range and the rest of it.

Sorry to crush your dream run, I just don't want you to get stuck in Siberia looking for Nissan parts. hehehehe :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah but therein lays the adventure my friend!!
I think modifications and some extensive off road testing will provide me with difinitive answers. I think shes capable of it. Although I do apprieciate the answer. To be truthful I have my doubts.
I think the risk will be worth it though. How is off roading over there? I know there are limited oppurtunities here. I do however sneak into the army off roading training ground at night lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have a look at the Trip Reports section of the Aussie forum and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the exy is capable of. This is pretty much the limit of it when it comes to off-roading. Anything more than and it will be considered a voluntary destruction of a good vehicle ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
jalalski said:
Jay,

You need to remember and keep in mind that this vehicle is classed as "soft roader" and it will always remain like that no matter how many modifications you throw at it.
I stand corrected regarding my statement above and I had no idea this can be done to an exy LOL :)

Here is your modifcations list Jay for the super trip you have in mind ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Havind had three Range Rovers, and three Landies ( series1, series2 and a defender), Ilove my X-trail for it's multi use capability, Oh, and the fuel consumption. ( Seven miles per gallon, towing at speed, with the series1 Range Rover !)

However what the X-trail is missing for SERIOUS inclines is a "low" transmission range. The Rangy and Defender were excellent in this department.

Still don't want to go back tho, I like my on road comfort to much now ( Ah, the leather....)

Mad Dog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Still don't want to go back tho, I like my on road comfort to much now ( Ah, the leather....)'

The last Range Rover I sat in...... had leather seats :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dont bother with off-roading an X-T. It isnt worth it, unless only going Green laning - and never on your own. The value of an X-T is still miles too high to risk ruining it (remember it has plastic wings!!) and the cost of importing (yes IMPORTING) all the parts you would require is just prohibitive. I looked into this a year or so ago and needed to import Rock sliders from South Africa, Snorkle, lift kit and sump guard from Australia and other bits from Israel. Although some companies profess to supply off raoding gear for Nissans, I could find almost none that did anything for the X-T.

As Jalalski pointed out, for the money you are going to spend, you can buy a Defender or Discovery (for £500-1500) and smash hell out of it. That is what I have done. It leaves your nice X-T for the road and the occasional Green lane.

But just to show you that it will go off road, I will post my Salisbury Plain run thread - http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/x-t30-off-roading-on-salisbury-plain-t228.html.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts