Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to this site I am just about to buy a x trail 53 plate I have made my mind up on two cars. Which of these would you suggest being the most reliable first one is a 2.0 74k miles lpg converted the other is a 2.2dci 84k miles I am torn between the two as the petrol one with lpg will do more mpg is there any thing major I should look out for on these two cars. I know absolutely nothing about these cars Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Tischer and wlecome to the forum.
My choice would be the converted petrol model as I'm not a diesel fan. Intercooler/turbo issues with some diesels?
another way of looking at it is which do you feel better in - you probably have a "favourite" and if so then follow your gut feeling. Specification is another thing - are they both of equal spec. and if not, do you need/want what the better spec has to offer?

·
Registered
210 Posts
vandy stop trying to push people towards petrol, everyone on here knows the 2.2 diesel is by far the best.... :smile: :lol:

On a serious note i prefer diesel for towing and low end torque but as vandy says its a preference... both are probaly quite good

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the replys guys I think I am going to take a stab at getting the 2.0 petrol the one with the lpg has gone off autotrader this morning with me not getting the phone number :headbang: so i think I will just get hold of one and get it converted myself is there any thing on the 2.0l that I should look out for or what is the best model to look out for cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi, i have had both the 2.2dci was the better drive towing etc but had ,intercooler/turbo probs so would never buy another one never mind the service history. the one i have now is a 2.5 converted to lpg does not pull the caravan as good and you have to use the gears more,but the cost is 45 to 50 mpg gas is 1/2 the price of petrol ...hope this helps.. :thumbs:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi tisher

My advice would be don't buy a 2 ltr with an LPG conversion already done or even consider getting a conversion done.

I signed on the dotted line at a garage to pick up an x trail with a LPG conversion which had been done 1 year earlier by the previous owner, when I test drove it was a bit lumpy and the garage said they would get it sorted prior to collection, anyway got a call to say the engine had failed on the way to the Nissan garage as they suspected it was the egr valve and after investigation it turns out the engine had bent valves most definitely caused by the LPG conversion effecting the engine.

Speaking to a mate of mine who is a Nissan mechanic foreman ata dealer he said the 2 ltr petrol engine is not good to convert to LPG and is not designed to take it. I also rang a local LPG conversion garage who did not recommend doing one on this engine.

I had a lucky escape anyway and bought a normal 2 ltr petrol which I love to bits

I would say buy a 2 ltr but leave it alone. If the petrol is not economical enough for you go for the diesel

Cheers hope this helps

Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry forgot to say to your other question go for an sve if possible, I have an Se which is great but fairly basic. I have the face lift 2004 model and really like it.

It is a 2 ltr petrol and using the new shell fuel saving unleaded I get 360 miles from the tank not quite sure what mpg that converts to but I am pleased

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Tisher

No problem glad to advise as I say I wanted an LPG conversion but am glad I found out about the problems before I paid for it.

If you do want the petrol still and want the LPG conversion I heard the 2.5 petrol is good for this to be done to so possibly think about buying a 2.5.

The other good thing then is you will probably get a newer, higher spec X Trail for the same budget as I noticed these when I bought mine were selling a little cheaper.

Cheers and goodluck

Simon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great ..2.5 auto on LPG. So good I won't be selling it! On the back of that at the time I had my second car converted to LPG and ran that for 60K with no issues. Now my 2nd car is a Note again on LPG. Bit I'm still keeping the XT!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got a 2006 columbia 2.5 lpg with 33k mls on the clock had it converted 3yrs ago with 19k on the clock when it was done it an [email protected] unit takes about 1mile before it switches over never had a problem with it todate touch wood. wife does not like becauase she cannot hear the engine its super smooth. she wants me to buy the skoda yeti but not convinced..... you dont even know when the gas cuts in..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.