Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just fitted a pair of the new H1 Phillips xtreme plus 100% bulbs (H4 also available) see link http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=190
Have tried Osram nightbreakers, which were OK then changed these for Phillips xtreme +80% which were much better and had a better and longer throw of light.
These new ones are, I hate the word but; Awesome - what a difference! They still look slightly yellow against the HID bulbs but as the H1 bulbs are for full beam, the light output is amazing.
Definately recommend these to anyone who wants better lights - will also be changing my wifes Rav4 H4 bulbs from xtreme +80% to xtreme +100%.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hglennie
When you see the great light output it is worth the money (in my opinion anyway) Take your point about wanting HID's but thought it may be of interest to those who have H4 bulbs with no wish of changing to HID.
(Even when you get your HID's you'll still need an H1 main beam bulb as the HID is only dipped beam - that's why I wanted the best bulb I could find to compliment the HID)
:thumbs:

·
Registered
210 Posts
mines is the H4 so it does both hi and low beam so when i get HIDs i suppose it will be bi-xenon. as i have a few spare sets of h1's from my last car that i was going to put in, thats when i found that there was no H1 bulb, which annoyed me but when i found out it was a H4 and this ment i could cheaply fit bi-xenon, then i was happy....

Im sure many people will want to know about Phillips bulbs and how they compare to Osram bulbs there seems to be quite alot of debate on that subject.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fully agree about your comments re: Osram v Phillips - having tried them both I prefer Phillips but it may be different in different cars and diffeent people see things differently - who knows?

To have bi xenon HID's the bulb either has a reflector shield that moves up and down depending on either dipped or main beam, or the bulb housing is motorised and moves the whole thing either up or down - you only have one bulb.
On my BMW I had twin headlights with HID's for dipped beam and H1 halogens for full beam - reason is that when you flash your lights you are only flashing your halogens and not the HID's, as this reduces their life and also because they take a few seconds to reach operating colour.
That's the problem with the X Trail. When I flash my lights, both the H1's and the HID's flash - this is exactly how it shouldn't be - and these are factory fitted!
So cars with bi xenon (dipped and main) will also have a (normally H1) second bulb for flashing. You'll also need to have headlamp washers and self levelling lights so I would reckon the easiest way would be to find a pair of original HID light clusters then all you need to do is fit the washers. Hope I haven't told you what you already know but thought I would pass it on.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Vandy said:
Fully agree about your comments re: Osram v Phillips - having tried them both I prefer Phillips but it may be different in different cars and diffeent people see things differently - who knows?

To have bi xenon HID's the bulb either has a reflector shield that moves up and down depending on either dipped or main beam, or the bulb housing is motorised and moves the whole thing either up or down - you only have one bulb.
On my BMW I had twin headlights with HID's for dipped beam and H1 halogens for full beam - reason is that when you flash your lights you are only flashing your halogens and not the HID's, as this reduces their life and also because they take a few seconds to reach operating colour.
That's the problem with the X Trail. When I flash my lights, both the H1's and the HID's flash - this is exactly how it shouldn't be - and these are factory fitted!
So cars with bi xenon (dipped and main) will also have a (normally H1) second bulb for flashing. You'll also need to have headlamp washers and self levelling lights so I would reckon the easiest way would be to find a pair of original HID light clusters then all you need to do is fit the washers. Hope I haven't told you what you already know but thought I would pass it on.
Hey Vandy, did this months ago, 'cause I had them in my Ford Focus too. I changed them over a year ago and was very surprised by the extra light, also with normal headlight. The beam is even extra ordinarily good!! Therefore I put them in my wifes Citroen (Actualy the garage did it... when we bought it) and she likes them too. Truth is that you have at least 40% more light (we drive often at night) It's a revelation!
By the way: in the Netherlands Xenon afterward is allowed and you do not need washers. Only self leveling is committed. Xenon is already old fashioned.... LED is HOT! Hmmmm.... in a few years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.