Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
The airbags are not attached do the covers.
If you have the set, then wiring is not the problem anymore.
Some wiring is there. I hooked my led bar to rooflamp relay. The relay gets the singal from the high beams, Led bars are allowed to operate the same way.
I think that's what the OP wants to know. Is the wiring in place for Safari lights in vehicles not equipped with them. If it is, how and where does it come through the roof. I believe the intention is to retrofit roof bar or similar. I may of course be totally wrong, as has been known before. 馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I totally agree with you both. Definitely not a fan of the safari lights, they do make it look cumbersome and a bit odd as if they were a drunken afterthought. I'm most likely going to be fitting a roof rack so would be fitting my own LED spot/flood lights. I have the Xenon lights which I can't fault at all, they're pretty good. The reason I fancy doing it is I'm a Marine Mammal Medic with the BDMLR and I'm also a coastguard officer and for both its not unusual to end up in the absolute middle of nowhere in the pitch black so the more light the better. Especially if I end up on the beach, although generally I try to avoid that at all costs. Having fairly recently taken delivery of a new Rescue Vehicle which has LED spotlights on the light bar on the roof it's made a fantastic difference to the visibility with that extra height and the LED modules as opposed to the older halogen ones. And after having almost fallen foul of a large ditch on the beach, trying to get to someone in a hurry many moons ago, I've always been keen on as much light as possible, just in case. Theres also a massive amount of debris there too as it borders a huge industrial area, so if I can see re-bar or rubble earlier or at all that's always a benefit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think that's what the OP wants to know. Is the wiring in place for Safari lights in vehicles not equipped with them. If it is, how and where does it come through the roof. I believe the intention is to retrofit roof bar or similar. I may of course be totally wrong, as has been known before. 馃槣
Yeah, more or less. Just looking to see if there's a factory made hole already in the roof for a wiring harness to pass through as I'm very reluctant to make any holes in the body that aren't already there, especially the roof. The wiring would be handy to know, but not essential. Building a custom wiring harness is an easy enough job if I need to do it.

Registered
I totally agree with you both. Definitely not a fan of the safari lights, they do make it look cumbersome and a bit odd as if they were a drunken afterthought. I'm most likely going to be fitting a roof rack so would be fitting my own LED spot/flood lights. I have the Xenon lights which I can't fault at all, they're pretty good. The reason I fancy doing it is I'm a Marine Mammal Medic with the BDMLR and I'm also a coastguard officer and for both its not unusual to end up in the absolute middle of nowhere in the pitch black so the more light the better. Especially if I end up on the beach, although generally I try to avoid that at all costs. Having fairly recently taken delivery of a new Rescue Vehicle which has LED spotlights on the light bar on the roof it's made a fantastic difference to the visibility with that extra height and the LED modules as opposed to the older halogen ones. And after having almost fallen foul of a large ditch on the beach, trying to get to someone in a hurry many moons ago, I've always been keen on as much light as possible, just in case. Theres also a massive amount of debris there too as it borders a huge industrial area, so if I can see re-bar or rubble earlier or at all that's always a benefit.
I can see where you're coming from and see the point. The Safari lights I don't think would help in their standard iteration being halogen; they wouldn't help you finding a ditch but these may be able to swap with some of the new LED replacement purposed for off road use which would give wider range of vision. I would expect the holes in the roof are already there under your existing roof rails so it may be that you could rig up an LED lightbar on a standard roof rail at the front with perhaps a waterproof connector so they can be simply taken off when not in use. The standard bars (I have some that came with the car but removed as too noisy) bolt into place and can carry a decent load. I reckon you'd be able to route something through on drivers side under rails to connect at roof bar as and when needed???? BTW well done for the work you do.

Registered
Yeah, more or less. Just looking to see if there's a factory made hole already in the roof for a wiring harness to pass through as I'm very reluctant to make any holes in the body that aren't already there, especially the roof. The wiring would be handy to know, but not essential. Building a custom wiring harness is an easy enough job if I need to do it.
I think that diagram I sent through earlier shows the holes already there but could be mistaken that one needs drilling in the fitting instructions???? Have a look at the one I sent through for your model year

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think that diagram I sent through earlier shows the holes already there but could be mistaken that one needs drilling in the fitting instructions???? Have a look at the one I sent through for your model year
That's great, thanks for that. I'll have a good nosey round the diagram. I've been a Vauxhall guy all my days so these are still a bit foreign to me. It's always worth asking the question as someone usually knows. Its easier than pulling the car apart first...lol.

Registered
That's great, thanks for that. I'll have a good nosey round the diagram. I've been a Vauxhall guy all my days so these are still a bit foreign to me. It's always worth asking the question as someone usually knows. Its easier than pulling the car apart first...lol.
I was Saab guy for many many years and found their forum first rate - must admit still miss my last Saab a 9-3 Aero TTiD Sportwagon but long legged labrador meant not enough height in the back

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was Saab guy for many many years and found their forum first rate - must admit still miss my last Saab a 9-3 Aero TTiD Sportwagon but long legged labrador meant not enough height in the back
Yeah, good cars SAAB, we worked on a lot of them as Vauxhall used quite a few SAAB engines. I'd always stuck to Vauxhall as that what I served my time on. Made sense as even after leaving the trade many moons ago I still had a lot of the special tools and diagnostic software. They were always good value and reliable. But now with citroen and Peugeot buying the company they're more or less re-badged Peugeot cars and I've been less than impressed with the build quality and reliability.

Registered
Could you not have converted said long legged Labrador into a short legged model? o_O

Registered
Yes, I agree. Nothing special about the wiring harness. If you do have to come through the roof, these are awesome...

Solar Double Cable Entry Gland, Waterproof Solar Photovoltaic Plastic Bracket Curved Cable Connector ABS Dual Cable Entry Housing for Solar Panels of RV, Caravan Boat Solar Double Cable Entry Gland, Waterproof Solar Photovoltaic Plastic Bracket Curved Cable Connector ABS Dual Cable Entry Housing for Solar Panels of RV, Caravan Boat : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Registered
Yeah, good cars SAAB, we worked on a lot of them as Vauxhall used quite a few SAAB engines. I'd always stuck to Vauxhall as that what I served my time on. Made sense as even after leaving the trade many moons ago I still had a lot of the special tools and diagnostic software. They were always good value and reliable. But now with citroen and Peugeot buying the company they're more or less re-badged Peugeot cars and I've been less than impressed with the build quality and reliability.
Yeh I was lucky as my Vauxhall garage had a Saab master Tech there who I knew and only he worked on my Saabs - very best was a 9-5 Aero Estate with suspension and tuning by Abbott Racing in Manningtree who raced them. 320hp and 460 Nm - loved that car but expensive to run as petrol and best 28 mpg as couldn't keep foot off shout pedal!!!! Not too much GM stuff on that one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Those solar power cable glands look pretty good. I've never seen those before. Nice one, that's maybe the way to go if there are no factory holes.
I think I might pull up the roof rail covers and have a nosey. It certainly looks from that diagram as if it's on the left side at the front. Fingers crossed.

Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
I agree. Looks too top heavy and too much bling! They might be good for off road but being so high they'll still be up and down with vehicle movement. You'd need levellers like the xenons have to keep them aligned with track - I can just imagine coming to a hump in the track and they're simply lighting up the sky with ground being dark.

Takes me back years when Matra Simca (part of the then Rootes Group) brough out a vehicle called the Rancho and that had extra lights on back of bonnet but at least you could angle them. The car actually doens't look out of place now against some off roaders like Dacia
My goodness, I forgot about that. One of the first kind of SUV when you think of it. I have not seen one in years. Loved them back in the 1980's

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Metal

Well, I got to the bottom of the irritating knocking noise. The rear bushes on the front subframe were well and truly goosed.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Cylinder Auto part

Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Auto part Automotive wheel system

A blast with the blowtorch, a good greasing and a thump with the hammer and they're all sorted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
White Light Black Human body Cosmetics

I'd definitely recommend these. They were really easy to fit, no special tools needed. They look a lot more substantial than the original parts and they're a fraction of the cost. They come with a lifetime guarantee too.

Registered
View attachment 36327
I'd definitely recommend these. They were really easy to fit, no special tools needed. They look a lot more substantial than the original parts and they're a fraction of the cost. They come with a lifetime guarantee too.
I used that company for the rear trailing arm bushes that mount to the body as Nissan only sell the arm itself at 拢拢拢拢拢拢拢

I can't do mechanics I'm afraid so simply got my garage to fit the new sub frame with bushes already in it for 拢180 :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts