Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just bought my first X-Trail, and have a couple of questions that some of you might be able to help with?

Do All SVE's have Cruise Control? Browsing through AutoTrader's website looking at SVEs, they all list Cruise Control, (as did mine) but i'm not sure it actually has it (probably standard template AT uses). It has one cluster of controls on the Right Hand side of the wheel, and i think this is the Audio Remote controls? (I've seen a 2005 with Control Clusters on both sides of the wheel). Can anyone clarify/confirm that for me??

Also, although disparaging towards Apple technology, for some reason i've always stuck with an iPod (albeit a cheapo old nano unit) for playing music, but the only kit that looks worthwhile for the Nissan standard radio/cd unit appears to be the Dension FM Ice/one (Inline via Aerial Socket). I'm a real stickler for music quality and hate interference/hissing, are there any other good kits about, or has everyone else just ripped out the head unit and replaced it with something else? If replaced, (and i have only the audio control cluster!) does anyone have any recommendations? I also use a DAB Highway unit currently for Planet Rock, has anyone got an installed DAB head unit in an X-Trail?

I've not driven a 4x4 before, and mostly i'm guessing it'll be in 2WD mode (is it worth leaving it in AUTO?), but is there anything particular to watch for when it kicks into 4WD mode? (Any trouble noises to listen for, grinding/crunching etc?)

Headlights, as it's miserably dark when i head into work and back again (Inverurie, North of aberdeen neck of the woods) what's the "flavour" of the month for head lights? I've previously used Osram Nightbreakers & the Philips alternatives, (H1/H7 variants), any suggestions, or stick with Night Breakers?

final point, any probably the easiest to answer, I'm guessing there's no display for showing MPG the Car does? Seems to suggest Average MPH (on the Satnav display). I couldn't find any info in the Manual I downloaded abot displaying the MPG? (I used to use Spritmonitor.de, so might go back to that if no)...

Thanks in advance for any responses..

Adie

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My 03 SVE doesn't have cruise..sorry no idea.
Your right best mpg in 2WD. Transition should be seamless and virtually undetectable..except you don't lose traction!
I'm OK with the standard headlights.
But I have swapped the head unit for a double din Pioneer AVIC F900BT as I didn't get built in Sat Nav. When I bought it in 03 the dealer wanted £1500 or so for the Nissan one so I just bought a Garmin. Later on the Pioneer has Sat Nav as well as Blue Tooth phone/Radio /DVD player and Ipod connectivity etc. So I'm enjoying that at the moment.

You use DAB? I gave up on that at home preferring WiFi radio. Any good in the car?

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -23369.htm

Mine's a 2.5 ltr Auto which I run on LPG. Is yours a TD?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Yep, use DAB in the mornings, my day isn't complete without Alice Coopers ramblings on the Dark Drive in to work. Quality is pretty good, i'm using the FM mode on the Highway DAB unit, but i do have an external aerial on my Renault Scenic to get better reception.

for the moment i'll be sticking with my TomTom 930 unit for navigation, but it's got an annoying habit of getting locked up or resetting itself just when you get to a nice junction somewhere you've never been before, so will use the Built-In unit as a backup. Not looking to spend loads on replacing the head unit, but would be nice for direct iPod, or USB (that supports an external hard disk, then i can use my spare 200Gb 2.5" drive for music). Will have a looksee on ebay and see what's going.

Will see how the MPG goes over the next couple of weeks. going to go for a couple of runs up into the Highlands, as well as doing the usual 70 mile trek to work and back.

Oh, as yes, have the 2.2 TDi 136 (2005) drive.

Cheers

Adie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Adie, our first SVE 2.2 dci (05 plate) had cruise, rev sensors and the roof mounted spoiler thing but that car got written off last year. We replaced it with another SVE but 54 plate with lower mileage, none of the above on this one!! Still a great machine though.
The wife now says she misses the rev sensors (at the time she said she didnt even know they were fitted and argued with me over the fact) I dont rate the built in sat nav at all, the little tom tom I use is far better.
Good luck with the new motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, will have another trawl, didn't seem to find much on iPods, but i may have been looking with my nose.

Just a couple of other things, i've seen horror stories about the turbo's letting go. How worried should i be about this, and also, i'm assuming it's pretty obvious when one does go, like engine going bang, no power etc?

I'm used to buying stuff for my previous fords online, using the ford part code finders/etis systems, is there something similar for the x-trail? something to find a part code (like the opening latch for the bottom glovebox) and then somewhere online (nissanparts or something) i can order them from?

Cheers

Adie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Adie i have a 2005 SVE it has not got Cruise Control,controls which are on the left of steering wheel for cruise control, and on the right of steering wheel are radio and CD control's, hope this help's greyhoundman.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Adie said:
Cheers guys, will have another trawl, didn't seem to find much on iPods, but i may have been looking with my nose.

Just a couple of other things, i've seen horror stories about the turbo's letting go. How worried should i be about this, and also, i'm assuming it's pretty obvious when one does go, like engine going bang, no power etc?

I'm used to buying stuff for my previous fords online, using the ford part code finders/etis systems, is there something similar for the x-trail? something to find a part code (like the opening latch for the bottom glovebox) and then somewhere online (nissanparts or something) i can order them from?

Cheers

Adie
Hi Adie

The ipod bit was well hidden as it doesn't have a seperate post. I'll try to find the post and link it for you. Your other option is to get a new head unit with an ipod input - it can still work through the steering wheel controls.
Have just edited post for a really good ipod solution, but only if you have a cassette?

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1980

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that Vandy, i've used those tape units years ago, but i'm a pain in the backside and like all my gadgets to fit in seamlessly etc.(demanding IT engineer!) I've got a new head unit & iso connector on order from Ebay, and am getting work to pay for an iPhone 4 (might get the updated TomTom app too) and bluetooth it to the new head unit (which supports bluetooth music streaming as well) so we'll see how that goes. I may just sling the DAB radio and antenna in the boot (as it's works over FM) and that should be that!

Probably going to get another set of cisbo reversing sensors, and drill the bottom rear bumper, i did this on my Mondeo, but it had the advantage of being able to be mounted in the "Bump Strip" so i didn't actually have to drill the bumper. Never mind, just need to make sure my cuts are straight! Was wondering about getting one of those Targa License Plate sensors, but might get thrown by towbar & any bike rack might fit..

Cheers

Adie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, finally picked up my X-Trail today, and had a good run in (120 miles) to see how it was. Overall, i quite like it, but i've got a couple of small (i hope) niggles.

Toward the end of my journey, i noticed when going round a roundabout to the right, what sounds like a fan in the air unit starts making a rubbing/vibrating noise, so i'm guessing it's got a naff bearing. turning Left seems to sort it out. (no, i'm not going to live with that one!). Unfortunately there's no handy Haynes guide to help point in a direction that might show something that can be replaced. Suggestions?

The final point is that the suspension feels very lumpy & clunky. Going through Aberdeen (home of the pot hole) and over different road surfaces, it seems to be making noises that suggest to me Shocks/Suspension issues, so i'm going to have that looked at tomorrow.. (It could be that's how it's supposed to sound?! no idea)...

Adie

media.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Adie said:
Thanks for that Vandy, i've used those tape units years ago, but i'm a pain in the backside and like all my gadgets to fit in seamlessly etc.(demanding IT engineer!) I've got a new head unit & iso connector on order from Ebay, and am getting work to pay for an iPhone 4 (might get the updated TomTom app too) and bluetooth it to the new head unit (which supports bluetooth music streaming as well) so we'll see how that goes. I may just sling the DAB radio and antenna in the boot (as it's works over FM) and that should be that!

Probably going to get another set of cisbo reversing sensors, and drill the bottom rear bumper, i did this on my Mondeo, but it had the advantage of being able to be mounted in the "Bump Strip" so i didn't actually have to drill the bumper. Never mind, just need to make sure my cuts are straight! Was wondering about getting one of those Targa License Plate sensors, but might get thrown by towbar & any bike rack might fit..

Cheers

Adie
Hi Adie

I changed the Nissan head unit for an Alpine one as it has bluetooth, ipod input, MP3, Aux in, USB and steering wheel controls. All works really well with steering wheel control over the ipod and the phone. Definiately worth replacing the head unit just for these features let alone the improved sound quality :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got myself a Wharfdale headunit off ebay that does ipod/sd/bluetooth etc, and have got my ISO connector for the x-trail as well, so will look at swapping that over at the weekend. Has the bonus of an AUX in socket, so i can directly connect my DAB unit too. :)

Adie

(Doh! Wrong ISO Connector!) must be different for the Nissan Radio witht he SAT NAV installed! hey ho, have to wait until next week now :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't suppose anyone knows that the ISO connector i'm after for replacing the nissan radio is? I have the Built in SATNAV too, and the radio is a single CD player unit. I've found what looks like the correct ISO connector, but there are 2 connectors in the back of the radio, i'm guessing one is the audio for the satnav?

http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/nissan-is ... 658078.php

Cheers

Adie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks quite a neat unit. Managed to get my Wharfdale unit fitted (got an ISO cable in Inverurie), and all works great (except steering wheel controls, but there's a button missing anyhoo). Bluetooth to my iphone works a treat, as does music playback, so not bad for £45.

Last thing to get sorted is that annoying heater fan buzz when turning left!!

Adie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.