Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring assisters are now available from M A D for the new XT
I have fitted them to mine as it seems to dip even more than the old model when loaded up with 2 people and a month's caravanning gear plus small invalid buggy and 100kg on the towball
They are coiled springs and fit inside the existing springs to give an unladen height increase of about 1 inch plus
There is less deflection when sitting in the boot or standing on the towball and overall ride seems little affected although cornering is better with less roll and a more direct feel to the steering
Its also damped out some road noise as a bonus
They cost £130 inc delivery and can be fitted by a D I Y er
I didn't say easily fitted :evil:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi John

Thanks for this.

I find the new model a bit softer at the rear end than the 04 model and am wondering whether to fit assisters. The 04 felt solid at all times with no indication of any roll.

Xacre

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi JohnG

One of the posts is confusing me.

I always measure my noseweight with the caravan level but can't believe the difference in noseweight that Howard seems to imply with a very small difference in height (unless like a see saw he has a huge weight at either end)

I seem to be lucky in the fact that noseweight isn't much of a problem. I vary mine between 65 and 90kgs quite easily depending on whether we take the bikes with us (2 bikes plus the carrier = 33kgs). I can manage this by moving the awning etc around.

All the weighty stuff in mine is above or close to the axle like the wardrobe, clothes chest, battery box, kitchen cupboards, and fridge. The water tank is just behind the axle but is always empty for travelling, same as the loo. The fixed bed is a big temptation but the water and waste containers plus alloy chairs take up most of the space. I do have some heavy items under the bed but they're tied down to prevent them moving around and are nearest the axle.

I find the van tows equally well whether the noseweight is 65 or 90 (although I wonder if the weight of the bikes can be counted as noseweight too - it puts the weight where it's needed). It's at its very best for stability when heavily laden over the axle (after stopping at Calais to stock up- and yes I am careful not to overload).

But the new XT definitely feels softer at the back end. I haven't compared it but wonder whether the extra few inches in length is all behind the rear wheels and the suspension unchanged.

I'm off to have the AlKo ATC fitted tomorrow. I don't know if it'll feel any different. I'll let you know.

Xacre

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Again
Just back from a week at the aptly named Kingsley WATER PARK :roll:
The suspension is a lot different at the rear cf the old XT
I boosted the old XT suspesion with M A D replacement springs but the ones for the new XT are fitted inside the originals
The first tow with the MADs has showed them to be a good investment as the van now stands slightly nose down when static and on tow I can see a lot more out of the large rear window on the Nightstar
The ride is still OK solo but with less roll on corners
To be honest I think that some posts are stretching credibility too
I put the trolley jack under my noseweight gauge to level up but I don't think that it makes as much difference as some claim
The van attitude changes on tow anyway if it pitches at all
The Alko ATC sounds a good safety feature but talking to people who had it fitted when we were in France they were very impressed but didn't seem to have a clue waht it was intended to do or how it did it
One guy told me that it stopped sideways suction when a lorry passed ---that was probably due to the Alko stabiliser and another told me that he could feel it braking one wheel---amazing as it pulls on the centre and so puts on both brakes at the same time
Still they were happy :lol:
I have had the Reich Brake Control for 10+ years and I like that as it brakes the van before/instead of the car as it works on a signal from the stop lights
It has circuitry to do the anti snake bit but you have to apply slight pressure to the brake pedal
So far haven't needed that feature yet :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi John
Thanks for the update on the springs.
Regarding the noseweight thing I know the hitch height can make a big difference on a twin axle as you try to lift either the front or rear wheels off the deck but I agree with you regarding single axles.
You're right about the Alko ATC too. I've only towed with it on the return journey home. It was fairly blustery and I believe I felt it act once but it was very quick, all over in a split second. Some idiot came tanking down a motorway slip road. She was so busy looking in her wing mirror she didn't look alongside. I was in the middle lane just drawing level with the back end of a lorry and being overtaken by a Mercedes Sprinter (in a hurry) so I had nowhere to go. She came straight across the slow lane heading for me, saw me at the last moment, missed me by about 6 inches and swerved back into the slow lane. I don't know what happened then but I'm positive I felt the rear end of the caravan twitch followed by a rapid correction.
Hopefully she learnt something from it as well as frightening herself because it was several minutes before she actually overtook me.
It's easy to see why caravanners don't understand how things work. I listened to an engineer (?????) talking rubbish to one caravanner following a demonstration of the ATC at the NEC show
Pat

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I asked my car insurance (Zurich) about adding MAD, they flatly refused saying no modifications to the car were allowed if I wished to keep the cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts