Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just sold my freelander and bought a x trail 2002 2.2td sport but im having problems with the 4x4 switches, when i start the engine the lights come on for a second but then go out, but if i press the buttons nothing!! when i bought it the bloke said the lights wont come on unless you need 4x4, got stuck in the sand today towing horse trailer no 4x4 pressed buttons nothing ??? am i doing something wrong?? do people take the props off like they do with landrovers? help please, the reason i bought this was because they are supposed to be better than landrover (and my landrover needed even more work doing to it even after the £700 bill)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply, so the light shouldnt come on when its in 4wd? i still dont understand why i was just spinning in the sand if the 4wd was working properly surely it should have locked the 4 wheels to help me out of the sand? i have just had new tyres on the front and the backs are fine, sorry to be a pain im not used to nissans, my freelander used to light up a light in the dash when 4x4 was on and you noticed when 4wd was activated the nissan didnt have any lights come up and continued to spin??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi tams,

Yes the lights should come on to indicate which mode you have selected.
Pressing the AUTO button should show the 4WD car symbol with the 4 wheels.
Pressing the LOCK button should show the 4WD LOCK lamp.
Pressing the 2WD button should turn any illuminated lamps off.

The 4WD car symbol lamp is illuminated by a 1.4W globe which could have blown and is replacable from the rear of the dash instruments.
The 4WD LOCK lamp is an LED and usually would always work.

Both lamps should light when their buttons are pressed without having to move the Xtrail. You just need the ignition turned on.
Let me know if neither of them come on and I'll try to check which fuse they get their power from for you to check.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi is it the same light that come on when you turn the key? i have 2 4x4 lights that come on for 1 second when i turn the key then they go out, nothing happens when i press the buttons, the manual that came with my car is for the newer x trail and has the dial for the 4x4, if you could point me in the right direction of what to do next id be very grateful many thanks

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
tams said:
hi is it the same light that come on when you turn the key? i have 2 4x4 lights that come on for 1 second when i turn the key then they go out, nothing happens when i press the buttons, the manual that came with my car is for the newer x trail and has the dial for the 4x4, if you could point me in the right direction of what to do next id be very grateful many thanks
It may be a blown fuse as Kev as already said. Check fuse No11 red 10Amp in drivers foot well it should be the 3rd one from the right bottom row, don't mistake the bottom row with the four spare fuses.
Left click mouse to open jpeg file below
FUSE BLOCK.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi thanks, just checked that fuse and it is fine, do you have any more suggestions as too what it could be? it wouldnt be something serious like the transfer box would it? it has just had a clutch fitted at the dreded mr clutch (before i bought it) could thay have dissconected something when they did the clutch? thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not techinical minded, but having looked into changing my head unit on here, i have noticed that the 4wd switches have to be disconnected to take the fascia off, perhaps this has been done and they have not been connected back up properly? Just the first thing that popped into my head, hope you get it sorted with minimum hassle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks going to have to book it in the garage i think, it could be so many things and im not a mechanic, changing a fuse is quite technical for me, was worth a try, just hope its something not too expensive

·
Registered
278 Posts
tams said:
i have 2 4x4 lights that come on for 1 second when i turn the key then they go out, nothing happens when i press the buttons
If the lights come on with the ignition, then the selftest is working and the fuses are OK for the lamps.
As mark has mentioned and because all your fuses seem good, then it sounds like the connector at the back of the switches has come unplugged.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Since you have a 2002 Xtrail it is very easy to remove the dash surround where the switches are located.
There is one bolt to undo and it is located in the left-hand can cooler housing.
1st pull out the black plastic insert (air diverter) and you will see the bolt at the back. You will need a long socket extension to reach it.
After you have undone this, the surround just pulls off. There are small clips around the surround which you will feel unclip as you lever it off with your fingertips.

·
Registered
210 Posts
surly if the switch had come loose wouldnt the lights on the switch itself go out? put the lights on and if the off, auto, lock lights up then the switch is probaly ok, or if the switch is faulty check the outputs of the switch with a multi meter and then you'l see whats happening at the switch end..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
havent tried at night to see if they light up will have a go later thanks, glad its an easy job to get the dash off thanks, have booked it in at the garage as the new clutch has gone and Mr clutch wont replace it as the car has changed hands! garage said they would check underneath and make sure everything is connected there, when we bought the car home it was getting dark so had lights on and dont remember thoses switches lighting up, would be great if it was something simple like that, new clutch is going to be approx £600 but i do alot of towing so had to opt for the nissan clutch, will let you know how i get on with checking thoses switches thanks for all the help

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi tams,
OK, so the indicator lamps are good and so is the switch connector if the switches illuminate.
Sounds like the intermediate connector between the switches and the wiring loom to the 4wd controller might have come unplugged if there was any work done on the dash behind the glovebox.
Have connector M75 checked on the passenger's side of the dash behind the glovebox as shown in the following diagram (click the small pic to enlarge).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dont think it had work done on dash just a new clutch fitted, other half went under it tonight said prop looks ok and he didnt think wires could be plugged in wrong way when they changed the clutch so its a mistery, if i go to a nissan garage can they plug it into a computer and diagnose problem? thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.