Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to the forum , i have owned my x trail for 5years and didn't know this site existed,
I have a problem that i can't find any info on and hope someone could help,

We own a 52 plate 2003 di sport with 76k miles, we tow a caravan and noticed last year that the engine sounded like it was pinking when accelarating between 2000rpm and 2500rpm it goes away above these revs. Now it seems to be doing it without the caravan on and when for example joining the motorway it knocks/pinks between 2-2.5k rpm when accelarating hard, it does not seem to be down on power or blowing anymore smoke than usual.If i rev up stood still no noise occurs,only when driving under load.

We are going to France in July and i am getting a bit worried that the timing chain is faulty?

I had the mot done on saturday and it past again the tester said the emissions where very low. Apart from this noise the car runs great and has never let us down in 5 years. Help,

thanks herald

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi just any update, tried some more injector cleaner and just done 2000miles in France pinking seems to be getting worse, now it is as loud when not towing, any suggestions apreciated
Kind regards
herald.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Sure you do already but make sure you always use a good fuel - I always use Shell V Power petrol and when I had a diesel Merc I always used Shell V power diesel or BP Ulitmate - t really does make a difference. I've tried running the Xtrail on normal fuel and even supermarket "super" fuels but they don't seem to make any difference to me. Although costs more I think it is definately worth the extra for Shell or BP. May not help your problem but no harm in trying?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.