Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 (54) 2.2 136 bhp diesel. On start up in the morning there is quite a loud mechanical high pitched rattling sound from the alternator side of the engine. On depressing the accelerator it is continuous and sounds like a mechanical squeal (not slipping alternator belt sound). After a a couple of minutes it disappears. Only happens in the morning. Anybody got any suggestions? I was thinking mabe the water pump? Alternator belt is new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think the new belt is too tight. The noise developed some time after new belt fitted.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I had similar on my old Clio Diseasal... was definitely worse in the mornings, or when very cold... was a bearing in one of the pulley wheels! Use to scream like a banshee... didn't bother me (not sure about the neighbours at 5am when going to work though?)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you fit genuine Nissan belts as non genuine always fail on the Xtrail and squeal even if new .Also check the crank pulley for delamination , the rubber joint fails and it can squeal .If it is the pulley bearing then just knock it out and replace the bearing...... it's a "6301 2rs" type and just over a couple quid on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts