Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi posted earlier this week regarding noise from front n/s brake area, a local garage suggested changing the pads as they were half worn and one shim looked faulty, done this and the noise is still there !! how hard is it to remove and check wheel bearing ? can a DIY mechanic do it ?.......thanks alan

·
Registered
50 Posts
just after buying my x trail in jan this year I noticed a whinning and a woo wooing noise from the front wheels, the whinny noise sounding very much like worn diffs, bearings or drive shafts. When I got the car serviced by Days the Nissan dealer they could find nothing wrong but did not do a road test. I then rotated the tyres from front to back and the noise changed from front to back also. Took the car to kwik fit who immediately diagnosed tyre stepping, where the block of tyre tread wears more on the trailing edge creating small steps, hard to see if you don't know. I have since read about lots of garages that have automaticaly replaced diffs and bearings whithout looking at the tyres. Apparently stepping can be caused by worn suspension bushes but my tyre dealer reckons its just faulty rubber compound. The solution is to either replace what may be otherwise sound tyres, or live with the noise.
jus :biggrin:

·
Registered
17 Posts
When swaping wheels around it pays to check if the tyre is rotating
in the right direction tyres on my exey have direction of rotation arrows on them I did not realise this when i swaped my wheels around which resulted in a loud drone, swaped them back all is now ok.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your brake calipers aren't sticking by any chance are they? ... had this sort of prob the other month and it turned out to be n/s caliper sticking! :thumbs:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, tyres are unidirectional Michelin Syncrons ( rotated about 18 months ago to even out the wear) have checked the caliper and both pistons extend and release, still debating whether it is the slightly damaged shim, have swapped pads, inboard to out board but noise still remains....might see if I can get at the wheel bearing to check it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I had a noise similar to what you described coming from the front drivers side most noticable at 40MPH and above I jacked the front wheel up and checked for play in the bearing there was nothing it all seemed ok rotation check seemed ok couldnt find anything else obvious so I decided to change the wheel bearing anyway when I took the old one out I found the outer race was ok but the inner bearing race was worn out causing the noise new wheel bearing fitted now nice and quiet :biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, new calipers fitted to front, new pads all round, passed the dreaded MoT,
now thinking of changing to a newer vehicle... anyone got any idea what I should be asking for in trade in value or private sale ?
2002 SE+ auto. 104k . main agent history till 90k ( nissan mech been doing it since) leather/sat nav usual SE goodies, towbar. roof rack. colour Merlot

thanks for help .....alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.