Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X-Trail has developed a faint rumble that seems to be comming from the front offside wheel, it slows and speeds up with the car speed . I suspect a wheel bearing although it doesn't go off when turning the wheel left or right. If my diagnostics are correct how easy is it to change and do I need any particular special tools. I did change the nearside track rod end last week and still have to have the tracking re-aligned but I think this new noise is just a coincidence. Any help please :confused:

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Hi pubcrawler, The X-Trail is noted for the wheel bearing locking nut working loose over time as I've experienced it myself about 3 years back now. I would re torque setting on nut first and check if it goes away. Nissan have known from the 1st build of the X-Trail that there is a problem that the bearing nut can become loose but they have never addressed it. I always check mine every 6 months or when I have wheels off as I don't fancy loosing a wheel.
Front Bearing Checking

View attachment Front Bearing T30.pdf

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

To change the bearing you'll need a Hydraulic Press to remove it.
Hydraulic Press

Hydraulic Press.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
When driving over the weekend I have heard a high pitch whistling noise when I turn the steering wheel left or right. I havent had it checked out yet but could it be from power steering or perhaps wheel bearings? My XTrail is a 2006 2.2dci and has done 60K.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If a load of 49,030 N (5,000 kg, 11,025 lb) cannot be applied, carry out the following actions.
_ Assemble drive shaft and tighten wheel hub lock nuts to specified torque. Then rotate in forward and
reverse direction 10 times each to ensure a good fit.
_ At a rotation speed of 8 - 12 rpm, place a spring balance on hub bolt to measure torque.
SDIA0592E
Rotation torque : 1.645 N•m (0.168 kg-m, 15 in-lb) or less
Spring balance reading : 10.6 N (1.1 kg, 2.4 lb) or less
Rotation torque : 2.125 N•m (0.217 kg-m, 19 in-lb) or less
Spring balance reading : 37.2 N (3.8 kg, 8.4 lb) or less

The above is taken from Service manual CD, hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
A rumbling noise.... can have many couses. For instance a tire. Check the pressure and look for stones in the grooves. Saves a lot of work when the troubles (rumbling) come from that side. Wheel baring change is a lot of work... Also chack the brake disk: the blocks can touch te disk (Had the same with my Focus) Can be a damaged tire too.
Some tricks: Make a long drive. When the bearing is very hot, it can be the perpetrator.
Or jack the car up, turn the wheel round, a bit fast and listen through a screwdriver, blade on the bearing. Listen carefully. When you hear a strange noise it can be damaged.
Last trick is move the wheel (jack it up first) and controle her of side marging. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.