Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , New to the site and looking for advice . My 2006 X trail 2.2 diesel has 28.5 k miles on clock and fully serviced . Last service was 2.5k miles back . On starting in the morning from cold , there is a lot of " Clatter " from the area of the timing chest . It sounds like someone tapping with a hammer and is irratic but very noisey . As the engine warms , the noise lessens and eventually disappears , and settles down to a steady tickover . I first began to notice this condition before Christmas and It has been very pronouced during the cold weather , but this morning the gauge showed outside temperature of 5 degrees , and the startup was still noisey , but less so than the colder mornings . The noise dissapeared much quicker , which suggests temperature is part of the problem . At the last service ( not by Nissan ) the garage used fully synthetic oil . I do not know what was in before , but the two previous services were done by Nissan Dealers , so i assume they used something similar. . Once up to temperature the car runs perfectly and is reasonably quiet . I see from topics on this forum , the concensus seems to be that the Diesel engine is considered a noise one . I also noted that there was an issue with camchain tentioners on the earlier engines ? . Any help/advice appreciated .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the site. The rattle you describe is very common to the x trail and has been been blamed on a few different reasons. Diesel knock, egr valve sticking, wrong grade of oil. As you say, it all starts with a cold engine. Mine is worse when the engine hits 1700rpm and also on the overrun when changing gear. After about 3mls the noise goes and I can stop cringing. Since I fitted a heater that pre heats the coolant it has cured the problem. I've not tried changing the oil yet for the better grade, but I will at the next service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the response , where does the heater fit and where does it get its power ? I have heard of heaters being used in cold climates like Norway , which plug into the mains and keep the coolant warm overnight for easy starting in the morning . I used the car this afternoon and its been fine, but the rattle will return as soon as the block cools to outside temperature . The more i investigate the more i am of the opinion it is the camchain thrashing about and possibly hiting the case .Its that sort of noise . ! Just hoping it does not do any serious damage .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't think I get the noise you are talking about, buy, what I do notice is the difference in noise levels with different fuels, even my wife notices. We have been on holiday recently where we have had to use plonk fuel and the engine is definately noisier, rattley and sounds almost like a poor roller bearing in there somewhere. Back on BP good stuff and once flushed though, the engine is noticably quieter and smoother. I noticed the same thing last year with the XT and the year before with my Mazda 6.

G

·
Ian555 said:
Welcome to the site. The rattle you describe is very common to the x trail and has been been blamed on a few different reasons. Diesel knock, egr valve sticking, wrong grade of oil. As you say, it all starts with a cold engine. Mine is worse when the engine hits 1700rpm and also on the overrun when changing gear. After about 3mls the noise goes and I can stop cringing. Since I fitted a heater that pre heats the coolant it has cured the problem. I've not tried changing the oil yet for the better grade, but I will at the next service.
Ian

where did you get you engine pre heater from and could you let me know how much it cost

regards

Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.