Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the nissan diesel is not known to be the quietest engine to be produced but
am I being concerned over nothing or does anyone have any feedback on my problem?
My engine seems fine/smooth/quiet until I hit 60mph then from 60 to 70 I have a very loud engine and then at 70mph it goes back to quiet/smooth.
I can't make my mind up if it is road noise, wheel balance or the engine, the noise is constantly the same even if I dip the clutch or change to a different gear ie. 4th 5th or 6th :?:
All I will add is that it was happening at between 40/50 mph until I changed front and back wheels around and it now kicks in at the higher 60/70 mph.
Anyone got any thoughts??

Graham

·
Registered
385 Posts
is it Noisey at tick over.?

I was going to suggest maybe a faulty injector. To keep the modern diesel engine quiet the injectors drip feed the fuel but if one is faulty then it will let alot of fuel through resulting a very noisey engine. I'm not clever I just know this to be a common fault with Mini Diesels and that is what the problem has been.

BUT

since now that you have mentioned about wheels/tyres swap round might very well be the cause.

G

·
Ranger I have a similar experience and I think it might be normal oddly enough. Mine does the same trick, from 60 - 70 is like a feckin rock concert then back down to folk night at the old folks home afterwards. I dont think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello Jay,
Thanks for reply.
Certainly sounds the same from your description !!
But at this time I dont accept it as being "normal" or everyone would be saying they have the same symptoms ??
My next step will be to change both front wheel bearings, which I have already purchased but just dont have a spare hour at the moment to fit them. Hopefuly I might get round to it this w/end.
I will keep you updated to any change.

Graham

G

·
If it occurs at a certain roadspeed, irrespective of engine speed, then it sounds like a resonance problem, not an engine/exhaust related problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have at last got round to sorting this noise problem.
Got my first MOT today and it failed on Drivers side "rough" wheel bearing
as I had already purchased the bearings I got the garage to fit new one that I supplied
What a difference, like driving a different car !!
Did not notice how bad it had slowly got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts