Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried Slick 50 or similar to try and quieten the engine? Previously I had a Leon FR TDI, this was a 2 litre VW engine that was 200 bhp and delivered 347lbft of torque, it was as quiet as a mouse.This one can be very embarrassing at times.

I do miss it

·
Registered
39 Posts
On both my 03 diesel x-trail and my 05 dci after run in period I put molybednum dysulphide in branded as "Molyslip" in the engine oil .I found this kept it quieter . With this in they have found that it coats the wear surfaces and the engine and in tests can still be driven for about ten miles without any oil at all! I'm not trying that though! In the 60's my father was an engineer with British Rail and they used it on the trains .Years ago with my first car(Citroen Dyane 602 cc ,2 cly) I had been using it with great effect, as it had a noisy cam follower.(70,000 miles) At oil change could not buy it for some reason so went off on holiday driving in France without it. After a few hundred miles the noise was unbearable and the whole engine sounded as if it was going to disintergrate. Got back to blighty (just) and poured the molyslip in and back to normal.I was amazed.
I will be putting it in my T 31 after first service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes - but you have to look hard for it ,and its in a small black plastic bottle about 6'' high and costs about £8. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before anyone pours anything in, I suggest you do a google first. I just have, and will be buying a good quality synthetic oil instead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi crazyhazy,
Good point, so I did. Interesting comments, on all the various products out there so I e-mailed Molyslip for their take on it. Quote "We know of no reason why you should not mix Molyslip E (or 2001E)with synthetic or semi-synthetic engine oils. The recommended mixing ratio of 5% is almost certainly too low to have any adverse effect on the total oil content, and if the colloidal suspension of MOS2 blocked filters ( as I understood had been claimed many years ago) I am sure we would have heard directly by now and we haven't" I suppose one of the problems with the internet and forums as well as this one is anybody can write what they like,(including me ) but I either comment on my own personal experiences or check with the facts.
My use of Molyslip for over 33 years has been perfectly satisfactory keeping high milage engines and marine engines going and reducing the rate of wear .Only in the last ten years have I been able to have new vehicles which after Run-in i have treated. The first diesel cars changed the oil at 6000 miles- now it has been stretched to 12,000, presumable as a sales feature. A marine engineer friend of mine still changes his every 6K (Toyota Landcruiser)because he thinks it is too long for a service interval on a diesel. - I think you have to make your on mind up on this and to quote my daughter- Oh whatever!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, today I bought a litre of Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel, after searching the net, asking car minded people, Castrol seems to be the most popular choice, Mobil also comes highly recommended.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's well worth checking out e-bay for Castrol Edge prices.

I bought 8 litres of 0w30 Castrol Edge TD for £51 inc. p&p

Normal Halfords price around £88

Xacre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts