Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have now picked up my 06 plate diesel aventura. So far I am pleased with the car (I should be it's only been 3 days).

What has suprised me is how noisy the engine is until it warms up..
The trader (note trader not dealer) I bought it from has given me a copy of a Nissan Customer service Bulletin
titled " Diesel Knock Noise " which goes on to say the noise is because the EGR system only starts to work when
the engine reaches operating temperature.

Can anyone confirm this is normal? OR do I have an underlying problem I need to know about?

The car will be 3years old in April and if I do have a problem I would like to get it rectified whilst
still under warranty..

Thanks in advance for any information.. :D
akastiggy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cant see how the EGR suystem would make the system more noisy. I know of a lot of peeps that remove the EGR from their Land Rovers - alll it seems to do is crud the whole system up - removing and cleaning the pipes makes the vehicle run a lot better, with no effect on emissions.

Lets face it - who wants to pump oily exhaust fumes back into an engine? Its not surprising it cruds up everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the same on my 07 Coulumbia. I have had it in at the dealers only to be told that it is normal "diesel clatter".
It is not noticable during the summer(warmer months), just when the temperature starts to dip. It is not consistent with a particular outside temperature and so far this winter, have only had one morning when it has done it. So maybe it is not temperature related and could indicate sticking injectors as pointed out peviously in oher posts.

Best Regards & Merry Xmas to All....

IanD

G

·
When I first joined this forum I posted a thread saying mine was very noisy, I asked if an additive might help! Nobody mentioned injectors!!!
Has anyone else had their injectors replaced?
I am interested to find out, mine is ok once warmed but my god it sounds like a brass band until it is!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

I've got the car booked in on Tuesday at my local dealership in Wolverhampton, to have it checked out.
As I've only had the car three weeks and the warranty runs out in April I thought I'd get it looked at.

I told the friendly service manager it was noisey from cold, it has an erratic tickover ranging from 800 to 1100rpm
and it doesn't feel right (hesitant).

When I told him injectors had been mentioned on a forum, he said he had not heard of that one..

Is there a simple test they carry out to confirm the injectors are performing as they should or do they have
to be removed from the car for testing on a machine?

Anyway I'll let you know how I get on..

Regards
akastiggy

G

·
Jumping back to the start of this thread, when you say the engine is 'noisy' is it making a specific noise? Or just loud in general? My engine just sounds like there is no oil in it for the first 5 minutes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crazyhazy said:
Jumping back to the start of this thread, when you say the engine is 'noisy' is it making a specific noise? Or just loud in general? My engine just sounds like there is no oil in it for the first 5 minutes.
Yes mine sounds like that???

Perhaps this is normal...

G

·
According to my mate who is a Nissan mechanic - it is normal!!
Apart from that - I love the car, it's the best car I have ever had.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crazyhazy said:
According to my mate who is a Nissan mechanic - it is normal!!
Apart from that - I love the car, it's the best car I have ever had.

I've got to agree with you other than it being noisy on cold start the car is great...

I've not tried towing the caravan yet but it should be a doddle :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...

Got the car back today, They tell me that my noisey engine is normal....

The machine says there were no faults detected. (the computer says No) :sad:
They weren't really interested that I had said Injectors had come up on the forum..

However.. They said the fuel filter didn't appear to have been changed (as it should) on its last service
at 48000 miles (car now done 55000 miles) so was advised to replace it..

At a cost of £75.... plus labour.... plus vat... Total £129 :bigcry:

Retested/Road tested..no faults detected..

They seem to have changed the whole filter housing?? Is the fuel filter not available as a seperate part?

This is my first experience with a dealership and feel that I may have been done..What do you think??
I will see how the car is tomorrow..

Thanks in advance
akastiggy

Ps. He also said he could do me a "good deal" on a service plan for the next 2/3 years which I gracefully declined..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
akastiggy said:
Well...

They weren't really interested that I had said Injectors had come up on the forum..

However.. They said the fuel filter didn't appear to have been changed (as it should) on its last service

They seem to have changed the whole filter housing?? Is the fuel filter not available as a seperate part?

This is my first experience with a dealership and feel that I may have been done..What do you think??

Thanks in advance
akastiggy

Ps. He also said he could do me a "good deal" on a service plan for the next 2/3 years which I gracefully declined..
Have just done a bit more homework on the fuel filter... It appears to be one large filter/housing complete..

However.. I have just phoned my other local dealership whose quote from the same part number is £18 CHEAPER :eek:

Guess what they are both West Way Nissan.... How can two different dealers owned by the same company
charge a different price???

Will try their other local dealership tomorrow for a price... I have a choice of three near me and it looks
like I made the wrong choice.... :bigcry:

I need to sit down and have a drink........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
akastiggy said:
akastiggy said:
Well...

Thanks in advance
akastiggy

Have just done a bit more homework on the fuel filter... It appears to be one large filter/housing complete..

However.. I have just phoned my other local dealership whose quote from the same part number is £18 CHEAPER :eek:

Guess what they are both West Way Nissan.... How can two different dealers owned by the same company
charge a different price???

Will try their other local dealership tomorrow for a price... I have a choice of three near me and it looks
like I made the wrong choice.... :bigcry:

I need to sit down and have a drink........
I've phoned my other local West Way Nissan dealership who once again quoted the cheaper price... :sad:

I think I've been taken for a mug and feel a strong letter will need to be written to the branch manager.. :twisted:

G

·
I also have a 07 X-Trail that clatters and had poor fuel consumption
Been into dealers several times and the last time they changed 1 injector which has helped and certainly improved fuel consumption but the clatter is still there

It just sounds like a noisy tappet BUT only occurs when under light throttle AND load (ie it doesn't happen when you just rev the car standing still) this is quite noticable when cold and not so noticible (but still there if you listen) when hot

The time I notice it most is when travelling in a line of traffic with just enough throttle on to keep the car driving at about 1500-2000 rpm

Any comments

ATB Rob

G

·
miroku800 said:
I also have a 07 X-Trail that clatters and had poor fuel consumption
Been into dealers several times and the last time they changed 1 injector which has helped and certainly improved fuel consumption but the clatter is still there

It just sounds like a noisy tappet BUT only occurs when under light throttle AND load (ie it doesn't happen when you just rev the car standing still) this is quite noticable when cold and not so noticible (but still there if you listen) when hot

The time I notice it most is when travelling in a line of traffic with just enough throttle on to keep the car driving at about 1500-2000 rpm

Any comments

ATB Rob
Joint the club :thumbs:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update to let you know how things have progressed...

Wrote a letter to WestWay Wolverhampton Questioning why I had been charged £18 more than their other
two dealerships for the fuel filter and to complain about the oily footmarks on the drivers side inner sills..
Got a cheque back for £18 and an invitation for a Free full valet and health check on my car....Result :thumbs:

Meanwhile I took my car into WestWay Stourbridge with the same symptoms...
Their diagnosis was:-
The EGR valve was "choked up". The valve was removed, cleaned and refitted.
There was an update for the ECU which was downloaded onto my car.
The car was given a health check whilst there.

This work was done FREE of charge under warranty... Result :thumbs:

It is now like driving a different car...
It's not as noisy
It's not as noisy for as long
The tickover does not fluctuate
It is no longer hesitant whilst warming up
Fuel consumption seems better although I have also changed the air filter as it was nearly black..

My experience at Wolverhampton had really pee'd me off as I thought I'd been done...
So I put pen to paper again, claiming that my symptoms had clearly been "misdiagnosed" as the car was the same,
Stourbridge had corrected the faults FOC and as gesture of goodwill,they should refund my labour charge of £42.

As luck would have it I was on a training course today in Wolverhampton, so dropped my letter in with the receptionist
telling her I would be back in at 4.30 to discuss it with the branch manager...
When I got there, the cheque was ready for me :shock: NO apology, NO branch manager, but I had got some money
back from them.... Result :thumbs:

At least I know now where I'll be taking my car for it's next service....

Regards
akastiggy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crazyhazy said:
I will have a word with my mate tomorrow and find out about this ecu update!
Hi crazyhazy,

Don't know if this update was for all x-trails or whether mine had missed one??

regards
akastiggy

G

·
Hi all seems that the xtrail has this same problem. I have a 54 reg xtrial sport with all the same symptoms, been in out of the dealers, each week tring to sort out the same niosy problem, latest is that they say they've put in new good injectors to see if this will solve the problem, so far it looks as though it's 60% better, but so far they hav'n't metioned about the edu update or the valve you metioned that was coked up.
Any other thought on the problems

1 - 20 of 24 Posts