Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
This is an annoying problem which has started in the last few weeks. When I disengage the seatbelt it does not reel back. On occasions when I step out of the car and go to close the door, I hear a metallic "clunk" only to realise the seatbelt connector is hanging between the door and the door-frame.
Any ideas/solutions?
Gabriel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
schillaci said:
Hi All.
This is an annoying problem which has started in the last few weeks. When I disengage the seatbelt it does not reel back. On occasions when I step out of the car and go to close the door, I hear a metallic "clunk" only to realise the seatbelt connector is hanging between the door and the door-frame.
Any ideas/solutions?
Gabriel.
It's caused by a build up of dirt on the belt and shoulder bracket.
Take it to your nearest Nissan dealer, I'm sure it a problem they're familiar with, I had this problem with mine and they applied a clear film to the shoulder bracket to enable the belt to slide back smoothly, it works to a degree, but I still have the problem now and again.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
I'm re posting this pdf file as it was lost a while back and it was helpful if your seat belts don't retract. If you don't want to pay for the kits then just clean the D-Ring with a few pipe cleaners with some methylated spirits and this should make a big difference in retracting back after releasing. In the old post members were quite amazed at the difference it made by just spending a little time in doing the job.
The part No is in the pdf file.

View attachment “D RING RESIDUE CAN CAUSE SLOW SEAT BELT RETRACTION.pdf

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Solution for this problem I heard recently:
Roll it all the way out. Clean the belt with a moist cloth. Reel it in, roll it all the way out again, clean it. Do this for 3, 4 times. Let it dry a bit. Roll it all out once more. Get cockpit-spray and spray this on the belt, both sides. Problem solved...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello All,

Just an update...

Umbongo said:
I'm re posting this pdf file as it was lost a while back and it was helpful if your seat belts don't retract. If you don't want to pay for the kits then just clean the D-Ring with a few pipe cleaners with some methylated spirits and this should make a big difference in retracting back after releasing. In the old post members were quite amazed at the difference it made by just spending a little time in doing the job.

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.
I finally got round to sorting out my seat belts [slow to retract] I thought I would update this thread...

I bought the kit shown in the pdf file above from local Dealer in Penrith £4.62 including VAT. I bought two sets, you only need one for both front seat belts. Unless you make a mess of the first one you fit - as I did...

I followed the instruction above, and managed reasonably well.

The wire cleans the "D" ring very easily - I was surprised how much "residue" there was.

The placing of the fluorine tape is a bit fiddly, and when you peel off the backing sheet it curls up, also the backing sheets stick to you with static, or is that just me? :oops:

There are ridges on the back of the "D" ring which makes it hard to fit the fluorine sheet flat without any wrinkles. Also when this sheet sticks it stays where you put it - so mine are not quite square to the "D" ring. :oops: Smoothed the sheet to the "D" ring and applied the seat belt a few times.

The belts now retract quickly and smoothly - a fiddly job but well worth the small cost and effort.

I hope this helps anyone who has a problem with their seat belts not retracting. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had this problem caused by dirty belts and cured it as follows:

1. Remove the upper seat belt fixing trim and unbolt the bracket.

2. Reel out the belt fully and fix to stop it retracting (peg, bulldog clip, etc).

3. Take a bucket of warm water and washing powder and immerse the belt as fully as possible in the solution.

4. After about an hour, scrub the belt with a nail brush and rinse with warm water to remove the washing powder.

5. With a dry towel grip the belt and pull the belt through the towel several times, it will be close to dry.

6. Leave the belt fully extended until fully dry, DO NOT retract the belt until it is completely dry to avoid the risk of mildew.

7. Once dry your belt will retract fully into the inertia reel housing as it should!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello Rappy,

I cannot comment on the washing of the belts - other than agree it would have to be done in the warmer months to avoid mildew or the like.

I fitted the kit about three years ago when my front belts stopped retracting properly. I had bought the car new some seven years earlier. The placing of the fluorine tape is a bit fiddly as I posted at the time. However, my belts are still retracting properly - if they become problematic again I will use the kit again.

I hope this helps. best wishes, John

·
Registered
808 Posts
johnrimm said:
Hello Rappy,

I cannot comment on the washing of the belts - other than agree it would have to be done in the warmer months to avoid mildew or the like.

I fitted the kit about three years ago when my front belts stopped retracting properly. I had bought the car new some seven years earlier. The placing of the fluorine tape is a bit fiddly as I posted at the time. However, my belts are still retracting properly - if they become problematic again I will use the kit again.

I hope this helps. best wishes, John
Thanks John. I think I will simply buy the kit. Do Nissan tend to stock or order it in?.

Thanks,

Rappy :cool:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello Rappy,

I had to order mine from a smaller dealer in Penrith (unfortunately no longer a Nissan Dealer :( ).

I also wasted one of my tapes as it recoiled with static... Just a fiddly job but well worth the effort.

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Guy's, I am having the same problem on my drivers side. Just ordered a kit from Nissan and I will let you know how I get on.
:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts