Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in the four years I have owned it, my exy wouldn't start this morning, and had to leave it with dear old mum to call the AA and get a lift into work after much swearing.

The AA guy came and managed to get it going after a while, he said he thought the engine was flooded, and asked if I had stopped and started again quickly last time i drove it(he suggested moving it round the drive after washing or something), I did in fact stall as I reversed it into the drive last night(traffic pressure, new boots!), so restarted engine for a couple of metres reversing before turning it off, so this is probably it. But I have noticed it hasn't started so well the last few days, almost a little cough as it turns over, so i fear it may be more, the AA guy said it may be my fuel injection system possibly, I had thought this, or maybe spark plugs, or air or fuel filters. I tend to use shell petrol, but whilst the local forecourt has been closed for a face lift, i have had to use total, I did use redex a couple of months back to try give the engine a clean, its not due for a service til november, and am loath to take it to the stealers if there's nothing really wrong, but worry i may suffer from this problem again, luckily i could get a lift this morning as i started at 9, but the usual 6 start means less hope! Any ideas what might be going on anyone?

Cheers in advance. mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Mark,

The non-starting after the short restart the previous night is probably caused by "bore-wash".
Apparently their is a fault in the injectors which sees them leak fuel after a brief start. There are apparantly a couple of other Nissans which do this. The effect of the leaking fuel is to wash the oil from the oil compression ring on the piston, and hence you loose engine compression. The only way to start it was to keep the throttle depressed and just keep continuously cranking it over until it starts. You would think this must cause excess engine wear from the continuous cranking without oil lubricating the bore and piston! Anyhow it eventually starts with a cloud of smoke.
So if you you have to move your car only a small distance before you leave it for a few hours, then let it idle a bit longer rather than just turn it off.

The slight hesitation in the morning while starting could be a battery on it's way out and not retaining full charge from the previous day's running. It happened to me and got to the stage where colder weather stopped it from cranking at all as the charge in the battery would not be enough. I replaced the battery and noticed a much faster cranking speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, i feel a little re-assured now, it was problematic on tuesday evening as well, but got it started eventually, and since then, resistance has been minimul, did have it booked into the stealers for it to be checked out on monday, but if all is ok when i go to work tom i shall cancel. Gave it a full tank of 'posh' fuel the other night, tbh its the first time i have filled the tank up fully for a while, i'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully all will be ok, I make sure i say hello to exy when i get in and ask hows its day/nights been and generally have a chat and hopefully that eases any problems..... :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.