Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

The steering wheel on my 56 plate SE model is off centre ( as if I should be going to the left) when going straight ahead. The car has recently had new front tyres and the tracking was checked then, the wheel was fine before the new tyres but they had worn on the inside, the garage said the tracking was out, they corrected it and now the wheel is not quite straight.

I have had the tracking checked elsewhere independently and been told it is now ok.

It sounds daft but it annoys the hell out of me.......should I just get over myself or can the wheel be re-centred?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You should take the Xtrail back to the place which did the wheel alignment and have them adjust the steering wheel to be centred in the "neutral" straight-ahead position.
There is a neutral position sensor on our steering which is used by the ESP/ABS system and you need to make sure it also has not been adjusted incorrectly. Maybe this might be a job for the Nissan service centre ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a mistake a lot of garages make.
Any adjustment to the track rod ends must be of equal amounts to both sides with steering dead ahead. If only one side is adjusted this will put your geometry out for sure.
Jack

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts....its got to go back for its 2nd MOT next month so I will get them to correct it then.....apart from this we have had no problems at all with the car, we have covered over 30,000 miles in it, only just had its first new front tyres (and the rears have a good 10k left) and still on its original pads, so far all is good; one of the most most reliable cars we have had....hope I dont regret this posting, off to Spain in it in a few weeks time!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.