Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody added any underbody protection the their X-trail, or replaced the backbox to increase clearance? I have started offroading and would like to resolve these issues, along with hopefully finding away to stop breaking the plastic bits underneath, that are attached to the bumper. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
whywould you off road a x trail i do off roading in a old cherokee with a 4inch lift it has dents and scratches all over it unless you are minted why smash a x trail up when you can have fun destroying a 500 quid car

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I don't go off-roading that often so can't justify the cost of running to cars.

More to the point, why would you buy a 4x4 and NOT go off-road? You wouldn't buy a Zonda and drive it through a muddy field! :p

Anyway... back to the original question....

·
Registered
5 Posts
no worries but you are going to get dents and scratches if you dont your not having fun and a repaint is around 2k ,xtrails are ok in a bit of snow but there not proper off roaders and you cant get any modified bits for them over here

·
Registered
278 Posts
What year manufacture is your Xtrail ?
I have a front bashplate and 50mm strut spacer lift with all-terrain tyres and it goes many places very well. I have also replaced the large rear muffler for better ground clearance.
Click the "my ride" link in my signature to have a look.
There is a pic link next to "bashplate" in the mods list and another pic link next to Yoko AT/S for the tyres and spacer lift.
There is a pic link for the muffler with twin outlets next to the "Hi-Tech exhaust" in the mods list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kev. Mine is stock 2004 on General AT2s- and also goes many places quite well... and other places not so well... my bumpers get a bit upset with some of the approach and departure angles!

I'm going to get a steel skid plate here..
http://www.unterfahrschutz.eu/NISSAN/index_englisch.htm
Custom backbox from here...
http://www.longlife.co.uk/
And maybe a bull bar, although I do like the look of a complete front bumper...
http://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?Make= ... CH2=SEARCH
My AT's are reaching the end of their life... so I think I'll go with 215/70/16 when I replace them. As for spacers.. I can't seem to find any for a sensible price!

It's all looking a bit expensive though!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Absolutely right.

Why have one if you don't use it.

I do some voluntary work with 4x4 Response, and it was only a few weekends ago that there was 30 of our members on Dartmoor supporting the 10 Tors challenge.

Most people were rather surprised to see a 'soft roader' at the top of one of the Tors, especially as I had driven past a sign saying 'No MOD vehicles beyond this point'

It did brilliantly well. The only things I would change, just to be pickie, would be the ride height and the lack of a low ratio box.

But it does what I need, just look at the situation and know yours and your vehicles capabilities!

Baz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lammychop said:
no worries but you are going to get dents and scratches if you dont your not having fun and a repaint is around 2k ,xtrails are ok in a bit of snow but there not proper off roaders and you cant get any modified bits for them over here
A repaint won't be necessary. I like my car so much that I plan to keep it until it is so old and battered that it won't function at all anymore... by which point a few scratches isn't going to make much difference to what it's worth... :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
r3ubs my sentiments exactly. I bought mine brand new and had it off road within a week and come close to ripping the rear bumper off twice never mind about the sickening feeling when you listen to it draging its belly over the ground when your following a landcruiser. Thats why iv'e just fitted the skid plate.

You just have to take into consideration what the x can do. I've used BV206, Pinzgauer, Landrover, DAF off road etc... But you have to take it into context. An x is never going to get you into the wilderness but you can still have a laugh; so do what you want to it it's your motor.

Good luck i say!!!!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
To prep your car, you must keep in mind not to wade too deep. Umbongo let me know, the rear axle may not goes too deep because a hole in this axle (diff) where water can come in. Ask him for details. :thumbs:

·
Registered
491 Posts

Front bash plate, see picture below of my prototype currently under test for our T30 :)

Apologies if you know this but here is a quick list for you, hope it helps. Start from the ground up....

Tyres should be All Terrains, though chunky M+S will work. Be careful if going for mud tyres due to profile of the knobbly bits
If possible get steel rims but the stock alloys are pretty tough. Make sure your breaks are A1. Ensure front and rear drop links, etc are good.

Remove the black plastic stone catcher from the rear and fit either a NISMO exhaust or sports exhaust, this will increase your departure angle, but it will be no rock crawler.

You could fit a rear bash plate but depends on what type of four wheeling you want to do. You can raise the suspension, Pedders do a kit for about £500, however there are issues, see this forum and the Aus forum for more.

The rear diff has breather tube which goes up to the rear cross member. See this for diff breathers http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t124544,offset=10 You can get a kit for Land Rovers of ebay which should work.

Sills are soft, but to my knowledge there are no protectors for these. I am looking it to this next year, I have run a modified XJ and am aware that it is possible with a unibody to protect the sills without reducing ramp over.

Then you need to look at where you air in take is in the engine, this will be a limit on wading, and unless you fit a snorkel and raise your breathers. The coolers are vulnerable so it will limit what you can do regardless. Of course light guards are useful addition to the front end, and so is a bonnet protector.

Fit good wipers and use good quality window wash. You can fit roof bars but if you are green laning remember they are there :roll: Inside fix down fire extinguishers, and off road recovery kit, etc. Take all the normal off road kit, and tools.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Okay, thanks, but most of this I knew already, thanks to the terrain driving in the army. But, we forget one main issue... The X-ie is not a terrain vehicle. The X-ie is a SUV with 4 wheel drive, which is something different. Most real terrain vehicles have a separate chassis. As you spoke about soft sills.... I will be the last to criticise the X-ie, but I think you must keep this in mind. :thumbs:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Owned and driven FFRs, et al Wimbo :biggrin:

EHE as previously mentioned the Xy is capable. Yes it has no lowbox or lockers ( front and rear ) but I would have stay it will cope with green laning, apart from deep ruts with no sides. It will certainly cope all but the worst forest trails, and is brilliant in snow.

Yes it is an SUV as Wimbo says, does not to claim to be anything else, but if you want an off roader you do not want an Xy, but that solid chassis means weight. The old Jeep XJ with a unibody, live axels, and low box is the best compromise probably, though you would have to add an extra leaf to the rear springs and uprate the front, which is easy enough.

The Xy does not have a huge solid chassis and live axels true, there for is lighter for it. My 110 weighed in a just under 3000 kg, the Xy is 2000 kgish, both have 84 kw engines (at 4000 rpm) so you can do the math but the little Xy may not have the ground clearance but the 101 wheel base and power to weight means with some mild mods you can have a lot of fun in comfort :biggrin:

Apart from the XJ and may be a Range Rover the only other vehicle that I would say you should look at is the X-Trail :biggrin: It is horses for courses.

·
Registered
491 Posts
This maybe of interest on the ESP issue Ahto, I do not have it so no problem, but for those who do and are going off road http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t125861,offset=0 - Thanks to our friends in Aus who go off road alot :thumbs:

Bearing in mind the Series 1 T30 did not have such a sophisticated system this may be of interest from 2002 in France, you will notice that even when traction is lost the GTR based system still keeps everything going :whistle: Ok so it is not the Camel trophy or Whitbread, but a descent set of tyres would make things even better. http://www.wat.tv/video/stage-4x4-tout-terrain-trail-esfc_2fzrp_.html

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I know that ESP kills power, but switching ESP off, the Active Brake Limited slip system is still working. I have tried that one front and one rear wheel are not touching the ground(they where spinning very freely) and still moved forwards.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We have found our T31 more capable than expected.

The clearance is an issue in deep sand, however we are not prepared to compromise on highway handling by going for suspension mods, so we live with it. Also it's not so much a traction issue as a question of the rear skirt's being exposed to damage (along with reversing light wiring).

One of the plastic protectors on the underbody was damaged a number of times and finally disappeared on a long sandy section, so we now have a modified plastic protector - this was done by the friendly people in Sao Luis, who foxed the rear skirt and wiring, and then modified and installed the protector - took two mechanics two hours, and when we enquired about the bill, we were told it was on the house and welcome to Brazil...!

The angles of approach and departure are not as high as we would like, however we have navigated some fairly challenging terrain by the technique I was taught in desert driving training - get out and walk the difficult bits before you drive them.

We haven't done much wading, however the car has extricated itself well from getting stuck in around 50 cm of river water. Traversing deep mud has been a heart-stopping experience a couple of times, principally because of the circumstances - a long way from any help, and with no other vehicle.

So overall, the T31 has proved very capable for what it is designed to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.