Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
703 Posts
If the intercooler is original ( Looks like yours is)then they eventually weep oil on the crimped seal .Best option is to fit the uprated welded type which most owners do .Also the rubber in the pic can go hard over the years and oil can weep out so re-new those pipes too,no good tightening the jubilee clips.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks for your help! I'm certainly a novice but is it something I can attempt...Happy to get my hands dirty
They changed the angle of the outlets on the intercooler for the 2.2 dci in 05' so look at when your xtrail was registered in 05' to order the correct intercooler if you do change it ..Would have been easy to order one if you had an 04'or 06':) If you need to take that elbow off just re-use the metal gasket and put some blue hylomar on it .

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
847 Posts
No, but there are only 2 sizes. If you take the top plate off (4 X M6 / 10mm hex bolts) you can measure the cooling matrix (the finned bit in the middle) you can then compare with the measurements on eBay. Alternatively if you want to PM your VIN, I can look up the part number for you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would say though that you have the wrong intercooler fitted to your engine anyway .Look at the top elbow as someone has bodged the join .This is what happens when wrong year is fitted as they won't line up .Try not to take any measurements off it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the intercooler is original ( Looks like yours is)then they eventually weep oil on the crimped seal .Best option is to fit the uprated welded type which most owners do .Also the rubber in the pic can go hard over the years and oil can weep out so re-new those pipes too,no good tightening the jubilee clips.
I've had a similar problem so replaced the intercooler with the upgraded welded type but I need to replace those rubber hoses but don't trust the measurements on the old ones I was just wondering if you or anyone knows the size of those rubber hoses?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've had a similar problem so replaced the intercooler with the upgraded welded type but I need to replace those rubber hoses but don't trust the measurements on the old ones I was just wondering if you or anyone knows the size of those rubber hoses?
Treat yourself to a digital vernier and measure the o/d of the pipe .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So typically when fitting all was going fine until refitting the intake metal pipe, I got the torque setting but the thread has sheared:( can anyone think how to fix this or is it a return job?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So finally got another due to first having a bad thread...my question is in regards to the sensor plugged into the intercooler, should it be covered in oil? When taking out it was heavily covered so should it go back in covered or (I'm guessing) should it be wiped clean?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So finally got another due to first having a bad thread...my question is in regards to the sensor plugged into the intercooler, should it be covered in oil? When taking out it was heavily covered so should it go back in covered or (I'm guessing) should it be wiped clean?
I’m changing my engine right now (300K km) but during each oil change I also remove the intercooler and clean all the intercooler pipe work, oil catch, etc. I also clean that sensor and the MAF sensor on the airbox outflow with contact cleaner and make sure that the airbox and catch screen inside the airbox are clean.

A welded intercooler is a really good investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts