Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Guys,
Does anybody know if it's possible to open up the headlamp units?
I want to clean up the insides, I know I will have to remove them from the car.
It looks like the plastic front is held on by a clip system to the back part with a rubber gasket?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Walkabout
I was going to take mine apart but never got around to doing it. The lens is as you said, held on with clips and there is a gasket. I'm not sure if this will be a rubber gasket that allows the lens to sit back into (after cleaning) or if the gasket just disintergrates when taken apart? When you start to take it apart you should be able to tell if it's a soft rubber seal or a silicone type sealer thats feels sticky. Make sure you do this in a warm dry area as you don't want to get condensation in there and obviously don't touch the bulbs or you'll "yellow" them with finger prints.
Another thing - I wouldn't suggest polishing the silver reflector with actual polish as it can leave swirl marks and gives off wierd light effects later on - just use a clean microfibre cloth if they need polishing up a bit.

Are you sure it's the inside that needs cleaning as normally grime is on the outside of the lens. If it is outside then you can gently clean and polish them with chrome cleaner and a nicrofibre cloth - don't scrub too hard though and remove all traces of the polish - or again, you'll get swirl marks. It sounds brutal but does lift off all that crud that builds up. If it is the inside that needs cleaning then you should check that your bulbs are seated and sealing properly as you shouldn't be getting dirt on the inside.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.