Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well easter is just round the corner. We have our site booked and we are both looking forward to see how the
x-trail performs on the towing front.

Will hook the van on the back of the X'ey tomorrow as we are both thinking the towbar sits low which may mean our van is down in the front which is a no no for us we like a nice level outfit.

Although our van is a twin axle it's the 620/6 Ranger so it's a light van fully laden something like 1480kg.

Our x-trail being the diesel manual and the 173ps engine should cope fine.

Although coming from previous tow cars the Touareg V10 : D3: Jeep Commander all auto boxes it will be interesting to see just how our X'ey performs.

Will report back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Scottie

I have limited experience of twin axle caravans but in my experience the hitch height is critical.

You need to measure the noseweight of the caravan at exactly the hitch height (when it's on the car fully laden).

A couple of inches difference in hitch height makes a tremendous difference in noseweight. The noseweight can vary from zero to 200 kgs in a matter of a few inches because of the counterbalance effect of the second axle.

Xacre

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hitch height in the end was fine sitting a little low in the front about 3/4 inch down from being level nothing that would worry us.

Nose weight came in a 45kilos. Didn't have much in the van.

The x-trail towed great.

However towing in the gales and snow storms up the A9 on Friday did nothing for our MPG which averaged out at 19mpg.

Coming back down the road today we managed 25.4mpg and would hope on a long motorway run which out the massive hills of the A9 we will get 28+mpg.

·
Registered
84 Posts
M.P.G. is very much speed and wind/rain related.

On the Continent I was getting around 22 mpg (1366 kg single axle) with my 04 dci.

Xacre

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xacre said:
M.P.G. is very much speed and wind/rain related.

On the Continent I was getting around 22 mpg (1366 kg single axle) with my 04 dci.

Xacre
yip well it beats my usual 16 to 17mpg in my other cars so I'm moving in the direction. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have had 3 tows now with the Ace Award Nightstar (1560kg max) and it tows like a dream
You have to remember that its higher geared than the old XT and use 5th on longer motorway hills
I have the 150bhp as I considered the old 112 bhp Xt to be more than adequate and having had intercooler replaced decided that no intercooler to replace could be an advantage
I have never once felt the desire for the 173 when towing
Not that I decry it in any way and its down to personal preference at the end of the day
The new engine is very quiet and refined compared with the old XT 112 and 136

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Scottie, Hi John

I've just got back from the Lake District. I have the 173 model towing 1366kg's.

Pottering around the area with a good proportion of dual carriageways(30%'ish) and some motorway(20%ish) it returned 40 mpg (figures from the trip computer were within 0.25 mpg of figures obtained from topping up at the pump).

However when towing (312 miles each way) I got 20 mpg at speeds of 65 to 70 mph.

I used to get 22 mpg with the 2.2 dci. Perhaps it'll improve as the engine wears in.

The new X-trail doesn't feel as comfortable in 6th at speeds below 63 mph as the old one did.

regards

Xacre

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good to know :D hoping to get more than 20mpg

we managed 26mpg towing with our V10 Touareg mind though the engine did not need to much to tow anything.

G

·
Hi there

I will be picking my "new" secondhand 2.2 Xtrail on Friday the sole purpose of which is to seriously reduce my fuel bill by half. I was using a Toyota hilux Surf 4x4 which was really thirsty about 25mpg on run taking it really easy.

I didn't expect to find I'd be getting as low as 24mpg towing my Blue Line 1.5t trailer. A bit worrying. I never go over 60 and generally cruise along at 55 with the trailer, so do you think I might be able to squeeze over 30mpg towing? :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts