Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just need a little bit of reassurance. The wife was driving the eXXy the other day and started to notice that changing gear became slightly notchy. Panic set in and when she returned home there was a distinct hot metal smell. I at first thought it was the brakes binding but didn`t seem to be coming from that area. I spoke to a lorry driver who said that this was probably due to the exhaust burning off the DPF ? I took it to the dealership who didn`t exactly fill me with confidence when I asked them what might be causing the smell. Due to the relative short journeys that are made I`ve decided to fill it with either ultimate or V diesel and not the supermaarket brands. All in all a great car and i`m very impressed with it`s off road capabilities ( when I get a chance to drive it ).

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine has also been doing this recently :-( we also had panic set in thinking its the clutch on its way out, however it doesnt do it all the time mainly when ive driven down motorway or towing!!! ive been reading alot about dpf smells????
car is going to local mechanic next week to be checked over as will be towing alot during summer so will tell you the outcome of what they find!!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. For some reason you don't seem to have a profile at all!

Hi Zoe and welcome tp the forum as well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
mine gives this rubbery hot smell from the exhaust area very occasionally, from what i have read on the forum i put it down to the dpf. my dealer is also vague on the matter. im note sure if they are that well trained!
i try to avoid short journys and never use supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I noticed the occasional burning smell when I changed to a T31 with dpf. I used supermarket fuerl for 2 year and never had any warning lights for the dpf. I think that the reason I have not had any problems with the dpf is that we do a fair amount of open road driving at decent speeds and revs thus giving the system the oportunity to function as designed. From what has been said elsewhere, it looks as if you should stick to premium grade fuel if you do a lot of short runs with limited chance for the dpf to burn itself clean.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've moticed the burning smell a couple of times in 10000 miles. The wife has mentioned it when she's had the car. I assume it is the DPF doing its stuff - regenerating or burning off - I don't understand it. After being scared by DPF horror stories, I've tried to avoid short runs and mine gets lots of good quick runs over an hour. I nearly always go for the cheapest supermarket fuel.
I don't know if a better grade makes any difference to the DPF. No such worries on my old T30!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I have also smelt this on my X Trail 2.2 dci what is DPF ? i seem only to get it when i tow especaily when in rev and i got it once when on a hill with the caravan but the gears where desigaged and the hand brake on Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
93 Posts
That sounds like a burning clutch. I don't think the T30 2.2dCi had a DPF. The clutch on all X-Trails appears to be a bit of a weak point and prone to overheating. It is one of the reasons I use a caravan mover.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My DPF smell ??? is always apparent when standing by the near side rear wheel after stopping. i.e. where the exhaust is. And no, the brakes are not hot. I don't smell it inside the car at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts