Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I've been reading up on various cars as I am trying to decide on which make and model to go for. As the X-Trail is currently on the shortlist, I wanted to try and understand a bit more about DPF technology and all the problems which mainly seem to be affecting Nissan (do they also affect other makes?)

So here goes:

The X-Trail is a 4x4 vehicle - this means that it has been designed to be used off-road as well as on-road. How can a car be sold as being off-road capable if driving it at low speeds continually results in it having to be driven at 50mph+ or recovered to the dealer for a forced regeneration of the DPF and oil changes etc. How often does Nissan expect that you can drive at 50mph + when off road? and does Nissan's recovery service have capability to come and collect a car that is stuck in limp-home mode when off-road?

Also as a current qashqai owner (1.5 dci so no DPF) I have been reading on the QQ forum that there is a new version of the 1.5dci engine out which has a CO2 output of 144g whereas the non DPF version is 139g - so surely that means that the DPF is (by way of it's burning off the diesel particulates) more polluting than the non DPF version..... so what gives?

I'm getting a bit concerned that I may not be able to find a new 4x4 vehicle these days which is actually capable of being used off road.

By way of a side note I specifically want something that is fuel efficient and new (for the warranty) so that it can sensibly be used for the 22,000 miles a year I do commuting for work, but also want to be able to use it for fun at the weekends and to be able to take on holiday to Morocco without it breaking.

Any ideas?

thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, first question is "How far and on which roads/motorways do you drive to and from work through the week ?"

The dpf regen problems are associated with Xtrails which are ONLY used for short, low speed runs ALL the time (eg. city stop/start with no country trips).
Usually a trip down the local motorway once a month (as you would if you were going somewhere to do some 4wd'ing) will be enough to trigger a regen and have the dpf all clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's fair to say that on my normal commute I'd have no problem - I have the A23 from Brighton to Crawley every day so regularly get a good dual carriageway run up there.

I guess my only concern then would be that one of the things I'd like to do is to take it on holiday for a good few weeks to Morocco and it would spend most of it's time off-road pottering around slowly - I'd hate to be in the position of having it stuck in the middle of the African desert not able to go anywhere because of a stupid filter in the exhaust.

Either way I think that for a vehicle that is designed to be used off-road, to only be able to use it if you regularly are blasting down motorways seems crazy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Our members over here who have had dpf regen problems reported a time lapse of a months (usually atleast one service interval) slow city traffic driving between problems.
They have also reported less problems when using premium diesel.

The forced regen capability provided by the Nissan service agent means it must be a known issue with the dpf technology and therefore has been allowed for rather than having the dpf clog and stop the engine from working altogether, requiring a dpf replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.