Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm Pete, I live in Kirriemuir (famous for J M Barrie and Bon Scott .... I think David Niven claimed to be from here as well) and as of this coming Friday (22 Oct 2010) I will be stepping out of my trusty old Citroen Berlingo and into this beastie:

It's a 55 plate 2.2 dCi Sport, 60,000 on the clock, FSH, ya-de-ya .....

Main reason for getting it is so I don't have to spend another summer towing the caravan (Bailey Pageant Burgundy, 1400kg) with the wife's RAV-4 (2.0 VVT with a slushbox) .... 16mpg when pulling the 'van up Highland hills is not funny!

Got my JVC standing by to replace the standard 6 CD jobby (6 CD vs 2GB USB stick? No contest!), probably need to pick brains for adapters and the like. Just hope I don't end up crying into my intercooler ........

Oh yeah, when I'm not running round in the car I can be found roaming the back roads of Angus on this:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Pete and wlecome to the forum. Good looking X Trail - hope all goes well on Friday when you collect :thumbs:
There's a member on here called Hglennie who has done some stereo upgrading so he may be able to help - knows what he's talking about.
Seem to remember a joke about roaming around Angus but can't remember it all (phew) :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, chaps, looking forward to having a bit of 'Ooomph!' under my right foot again .... the Berlingo is a fantastic 'do everything' motor but a 1.9D powerplant is never gonna get the pulse racing, is it?

Hglennie .... Blairgowrie .... just along the road from me .... if I get stuck I may just take a wander over :whistle:

Serious question(s) time - after reading some of the comments here I'm bricking it over the possibility of the turbo going bang, so I want to start out with a 'Save my turbo' strategy, here it is:

Use good quality 5W/40 fully synth lube
Don't get leadfoot until the mill is really well warmed up (normal practice anyway!)
Let the engine idle for a minute or so after a run to bring the turbo down and swish the oil round the bearings (again, normal practice for turbo'ed engines)
More frequent oil changes maybe?
In extremis, replace the turbo with one from Turbo Technics, what about an improved I/C?

I don't mind spending a few quid on uprated bits now if it means I never have to suffer the ignomy of some greasemonkey sucking through his teeth and then writing lots of big numbers on an invoice :bigcry: ..... so, is there such a thing as a truly bombproof X-Trail dCi, and how do I make mine one?

PS - X-Trail experience so far was a wee test drive from Perth up round Stanley (Hglennie knows the road, I'm sure), bit of town, bit of dualler, bit of twisty country road .... very impressed so far, that's why I bought the thing. We only stopped in to have a look and let Mrs KP try the seats out, no way were we going to buy, no sirree!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.