Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting x-trail.

Budget - up to £5500.

Reading the forums it seems that a lot of people have turbo problems.

As my last car a Toyota Avensis Verso died when the turbo went and the engine seized I am wary of getting a diesel.

However the MPG seems to be so much better with the diesels.

If you have 2litre petrol what MPG do you get?

It will mainly be used to and from work and running the kids round. So why do I want such a big car?

I fish and all the gear takes up so much room.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi bigrob

Not sure about the 2.0L petrol but my 2.5L does about 28mpg on average so the 2.0L may get 30mpg? - not sure? Obvioulsy the petrol engines do less then the diesel models but petrol is cheaper, as is road tax and you don't have the worry of intercooler/turbo issues, which there certainly are. Neither model will give you great results on short trips to be honest but who cares as it's great for nipping up dirt tracks/off road to get to best spots for fishing :thumbs:
No doubt a diesel owner will give their views so that you can compare but personally I wouldn't have a diesel car again as I hate the noise they make when they're cold and also hate the smell when filling up at Shell - always managed to get some on my shoes but that's not the cars fault - it's the idiot filling it up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2004 2.5 sve and I've had it LPG converted. No problems at all and after 33 tanks of fuel the conversion has paid for itself in the money I will have saved.

Paid 5000 for the car 1000 for the conversion. The conversion is cheap as it's a 2.5 4cyl.

Would not do it any other way. The government rape us on fuel duty. It makes ms so angry!!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Bigrob

I do a lot of motorway miles so this makes the consumption look better - around town and loads of B roads you can almost see the gauge going down. I agree that the 2.5 engine seems OK to do a LPG conversion to but have now read about 1/2 dozen articles saying that the 2.0L engine doesn't like LPG - has a bad effect on the valves apparently and can be very costly to repair. One installer suggests changing the valves when having the conversion done so they must have a preety good idea it is a problem area as they're covering thier backs. To be fair I also read that on post 2005 cars the problem is not as bad.

My estimate about the 2.0L may be out - seems that mid 20's could be nearer the truth depending on driving habits/roads? (Mine is an auto by the way so the consumption will be worse than a manual will be)

·
Registered
209 Posts
bigrob said:
Thanks chaps

Ethan - LPG conversion I take it on the 2.5?
Yep a 2003 2.5 SVE Automatic (in Zinc with cream leather int.) that I've been running on LPG for over four years with no problems.
Cost me £1600 from http://www.essexlpg.net - he charges less these days! Filled it up the other day got about 20mpg which is the petrol equivalent of 40mpg. Call me old leadfoot! At 64.9 p a litre it's a cheap motor to run. I've owned the XT from new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2.0 sport (petrol) and get 23-29MPG as an average with short runs around town to trip to the west country. Mind yu that is with roof bars fitted permanently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a 2005 2.5 SVE as a winter car so wont do big miles and would be worried about the turbo on a older diesel. Have been geting about 30mpg on gentle A road, my mate get about 37 from his 2.2 dci. Petrols are much cheaper, I paid under £5000 for mine and it's only done 44000miles with all old mots!!
Unless you do massive miles I think you would be better off with a petrol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi, Rob i have a 2.5 2006 had it converted to lpg 2 yrs ago done 18000 miles since the kit was fitted was worried about the valves burn out.Had a flash kit fitted so that aint going to be a problem now. Get around 220mls on a tank full 41 lts (gas) so thats almost 48mpg on the gas with gas costing half the price of petrol. Also you can pick up a high spec low mileage 2.5 a lot cheaper than a dci...Also what i have found is that it wears the front tyres less owing to the weight of the engine its around 80kg kerb weight less than the same spec dci.Does not tow as good as the dci but the turbo/intercooler was a big problem and a big cost when it goes bang... :thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think driving style is the biggest contributor to MPG. My wife managed a fairly consistent 38mpg in her 2006 2.2 dCi. Just got her a 2009 2.0 173hp diesel and the first time we went on a long drive she managed the same 38mpg on the journey out. On the way back I drove and managed 47mpg. The new car has the average MPG indicator and this has worked wonders. My wife now regularly manages 45mpg just by cruising at 65mph instead of 70mph when not pressed for time, and avoiding harsh acceleration and breaking. At 19,000 miles a year that's nearly £400 saved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jsut my 2p worth, i have owned my 2005 2.2 dci sve from new and had 3 intercoolers and a turbo in the first 18 month :shock: :shock: . BUT i have done 95000 now and not had a single problem apart from a new front strut 6 months ago ( understandable if you saw the roads around here) and i get between 32-38 MPG. has never let me down even in the 6" snow last feb. only thing i am going to do now is get some mud/snow tyres for this winter.

Thanks

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.