Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentiond in the wrong section :confused: I have a couple of questions

1) how can I tell if the four wheel drive system works? should I expect to get wheel spin (when switched to 2wd)

2) what damage should I expect following my wife driving about five miles with petrol instead of diesel. The tank was empty.
She drove whist ignoring the clattering and stopped when it got too bad. Will I need to replace the plastic tank.
The motor is sitting for 48hrs waiting for garage to open.

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might be lucky and just get away with fuel filter change and flush through. Petrol in diesel isnt as bad as diesel in petrol. However 5 miles is quite a long way, so you end up with injector problems and other nastys.

The car shouldnt spin in 2 wheel drive as it automaticly switches to 4WD when it detects spin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I guess I should get that checked too :roll: . Anyone shed any light on this prior to getting check book out.

Spoken to mechanic this evening who is going to drain system and change filters, re-fuel and fire it up. We shall wait and see
Cheers Nick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Should add to clarify, you may get some spin in 2WD, but not excessivley. For example pulling out of a junction in 2WD, you may spin and the 4wd might not have time to kick in, but for longer periods, the car should switch to 4wd automaticly, even if 4WD AUTO isnt selected.
When in 4WD AUTO, you should not spin at any time, except in extreme circumstances.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to a sport meeting which involves driving and parking on soft ground, or anywhere that is unmetalled etc. e.g. coastal sand (not too deep, it's not a Landy), or any off road unmetalled track. If the 4x4 is working you will 1) not get stuck and 2) pull away from a standstill as if you were on tarmac. Take out the 4x4 and you will quickly see the difference. Climbing a grassy slope is also good. You won't make any headway at all unless 4x4 is working. Do an accelerating tight turn on grass. Then examine the tyre tracks. If 4x4 is working you will have scalped the grass with all 4wheels, and not just the 2 fronts. If you try this on the lawn make sure the wife is out first so you can then claim it was just some kids.

Petrol in the diesel could knacker the high pressure pump and injectors. The reason why is that the clearances are very tight, since diesel oil is the lubricant that keeps the moving surfaces apart. Petrol, being lighter, doesn't have the surface tension properties that would allow it to be a lubricant; diesel mechanical items do not need separate oil reservoirs because of this phenomenon, enabling them to be smaller, lighter and less expensive - the diesel passing through is also the oil. So expect an expensive repair - is this not covered by insurance? It wasn't deliberate after all. On the other hand, if there was just enough diesel in the mix, it might have allowed sufficient lubrication for a short time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chaps for replies

If 4x4 is working you will have scalped the grass with all 4wheels, and not just the 2 fronts. If you try this on the lawn make sure the wife is out first so you can then claim it was just some kids
LOL :lol: Not sure she can be cross with me for anything at the mo :!: Might have a go.

I should have plenty of opportunity to take the motor off road but am usually in my very battered discovery which I use for RTV. The Xtrail is for family caravan work and has so far been excellent.
I think the wheel spin my be within normal expectations as it has been cold and greasy recently and I could do with some new rubber. I will keep an eye on it.

The fuel filler gadget looks great, might invest. Thought the large extra sticker on body work might have been enough :shock: Why dont manufacturers sort this problem at source?

Thanks again Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had a call from my mechanic/mate from 'yorkshireoffroadclub' who has drained the horrible petrol and flushed system etc. It started first time on the key and settled down reasonably quickly reducing volume and smoke as it did so. He has been down the road to warm it up and says it sound ok, if not a little louder than he expected (not used to nissan)

So, it sounds a little like I have got away with it this time. Hope it stays as reliable as it has been (and previous 2wd nissans I have owned)

Thanks for advice, will keep yhou posted with progress.

Cheers Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.