Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my 2001 xtrail ocasionally wont start it turns over like its flooding sort of fires on one but wont start unless i sit for a while then it starts on 2 or three cylinders and then runs properly -it wont play up for months then no go - ive been told i have the wrong oil in it 10w40 and the lifters arent pumping up is that right ?thanks for any help

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
58 Posts
hi my 2001 xtrail ocasionally wont start it turns over like its flooding sort of fires on one but wont start unless i sit for a while then it starts on 2 or three cylinders and then runs properly -it wont play up for months then no go - ive been told i have the wrong oil in it 10w40 and the lifters arent pumping up is that right ?thanks for any help
I would check spark plug conditions to determine state of the engine. It could be a multitude of things. MAF sensor, spark plugs, HT leads, lanbda sensors, the list goes on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info so because it only happens occasionally is it likely to be the wrong oil -i suspected faulty sensors cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
I assume that you have a petrol engine by the sound of it. There are two petrol engines a 2.0 l and a 2.5 l, the diesel is 2.2 l.

Does the problem come up when it is damp? If it does then it could be ignition based as the high tension voltage could be leaking away and not being sufficient to create a healthy spark to ignite the air/fuel mixture.
When were the plugs last changed? It would be cheaper to change the plugs in the first instance. When I ran petrol engine cars I always kept the old plugs if they were not faulty so that if one of the new plugs broke down then I would have a known good spare to put in as a temporary measure. Back in the 70's and 80's I did have a small number of new plugs fail very soon after a service.
Also, check the HT (high tension) leads to the spark plugs, if they are the originals they may need replacing. If you check them when it is dark you should be able to see any insulation breakdown as the electricity will flow down the outside of the HT lead.
It could also be the coil(s) supplying the high voltage to the plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts