Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
highlandjock said:
Hi Folks
Just bought my new Xtrail Sport Expedition 2.0D Black, and I love it, I got it on wednesday from a garage in fallkirk first ever newish car, traded in my Rav4 that I never liked from day one, it was a huge dissapointment..who cares its gone now :lol: :lol:
Been away all day up to glencoe trying out the new car its worlds apart from the other, plenty of get up and go and will definately pull the caravan with ease, love all the gadgets, sunroof is amazing, engine torque is unbelievable all round great car....
Does anyone know how to bluetooth contacts from an iphone to the car.
will be a regular to the site, lots of good info
thanxs
Same as me - I have never managed to get contacts to the car - not on my old Nokia, noe on my new iPhone.

It tells to to send from the phone and I have never been able to work out how to do it.

So - if anyone *does* know how to get contacts from an iPhone to the X-trail Sport Expedition Extreme, I would like to know too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've just spent an interesting lunchtime exploring my 2010 Tekna with an iPhone 3G on iOS4.

I now realise there are 2 "phonebooks" accessible, one on the car computer & the other on the mobile. I have been using the handset version, without any problems, & have set the "auto download" to yes, which may make it instantaneously available when my iPhone is connected.

The main differences seem to be:

- car version: name can be edited & a customised voice tag added
- handset version: read-only, listed (in my case) in lastname, firstname order, & an automatic voice tag read out in that order

For me, I can only download contacts individually to the car memory (may be phone specific ? I get the prompt with a passcode but nothing happens on the iPhone) but I have the opportunity to select which numbers to use & can edit the entries during the downlaod process:

- the function is under <phone> <phonebook> <edit entry> <add entry> (rather than download) then <from handset> (I think, my short term memory...)

All of the above suits me as I don't make many outgoing calls in tha car, so I can easily add a few favourites to the car memory which will make it easier / more reliable to select them by voice tag.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron said:
I've just spent an interesting lunchtime exploring my 2010 Tekna with an iPhone 3G on iOS4.

I now realise there are 2 "phonebooks" accessible, one on the car computer & the other on the mobile. I have been using the handset version, without any problems, & have set the "auto download" to yes, which may make it instantaneously available when my iPhone is connected.
Thanks Ron,

This "auto download", how do you do it?

I can't find any way to do it at all.

The car just has the option to download from the phone and then says to tell the phone to send it voa Bluetooth.

Going to the phone there is no way I can find at all of sending any contact information at all.

Please - how do you do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
John - it doesn't help that Nissan use mixed terminology (& possiblythere have been system changes between your model & mine).

Can we take it in separate stages?

When making a call via Bluetooth, are you able to select the contact details on the car screen from the iPhone address book ?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron said:
John - it doesn't help that Nissan use mixed terminology (& possiblythere have been system changes between your model & mine).

Can we take it in separate stages?
Thanks.

Ron said:
When making a call via Bluetooth, are you able to select the contact details on the car screen from the iPhone address book ?
No, not directly.

There is an option that says the phone's address book, but I can't see an option to access it directly.

There seems to be an option that allows you to download the phone's address book to the car; but when I go this route it then asks you to send it via Bluetooth and I cannot see an anything in the phone about sending the contacts.

Thanks.

Oh - and it looks like your X-Trail is the next year to mine. Mine was the very last of the "Sport" model - 2009 with a 59 plate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
John Willett said:
Ron said:
No, not directly.

There is an option that says the phone's address book, but I can't see an option to access it directly.
Can you not select that option ? Or if you do are there no entries ?

John Willett said:
There seems to be an option that allows you to download the phone's address book to the car; but when I go this route it then asks you to send it via Bluetooth and I cannot see an anything in the phone about sending the contacts.
That's not a suprise, I think the idea is that the car requests the data, you input the passcode generated by the car to the iPhone to authorise access, then the transfer happens. But the iPhone doesn't respond in my case.

John Willett said:
Oh - and it looks like your X-Trail is the next year to mine. Mine was the very last of the "Sport" model - 2009 with a 59 plate.
Yes, it may be difficult or even not worthwhile making comparisons. But we can try !

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ron,

Yes, I do select that option and do everything the car tells me to until it gets to the point where it says that I then have to get the mobile to send to the car by Bluetooth.

The iPhone does not appear to be able to do that - nor did my old Nokia have that option neither.

So - it looks like my X-trail has a facility that phones don't.

So - it looks like I will just have to put the important ones manually into the car - shame really. :bigcry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, it does seem a shame that our systems function differently.

As I said, mine seems to have 3 functions:

- download (transfer) all contacts from iPhone to car - doesn't work for any of us !

- download (transfer) individual contacts, which works for me

- access the iPhone address book direct from the car computer when initiating a call (no download or transfer, exactly) - what I always use.

I was going to check with you that you had selected "Sync contacts" on the iPhone Bluetooth settings menu for your car's entry, but I have just switched that setting off then on - & now I can't see myiPhone contacts on the car any mre !

Bother !

Could there have been a change in the recent iOS update ?

I'm going to keep trying this so you may hear from me again.

This could run & run.

Best regards,

Ron

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Close, Umbongo, but no coconut from me !

The document says that transferring contacts by Bluetooth is not supported - but I can (at least individually) & I can view the iPhone version (phew - the listing came back this morning without me having to do anything. Technology, huh?!)

Can you advise the date of the pdf, or which model Exy it refers to ?

Better still, have you any other documents in your magic filing cabinet ?

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Ron said:
Close, Umbongo, but no coconut from me !

The document says that transferring contacts by Bluetooth is not supported - but I can (at least individually) & I can view the iPhone version (phew - the listing came back this morning without me having to do anything. Technology, huh?!)

Can you advise the date of the pdf, or which model Exy it refers to ?
Hi Ron, I can't remember where it was from now but it wasn't a Exy I think it was from the Pathfinder model and it was 2009 build date, I just thought it may be the same as the Exy :frown: wouldn't you think that Nissan U.K would produce up to date info on all their models?...................they launch a new model that cost anything up to £30,000 and can't print all current literature relevant to the workings of your new vehicle and media

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to add my moneys worth...

I bought a July 2010 Tekna with the new head unit / sat nav.

The 'phonebook' is the car memory.

The 'handset' is the handset memory.

The 'autodownload' option means the car reads your phones memory, it DOES NOT transfer them. (Just makes them open to read and dial from the screen)

The 'phonebook' option lets you select individual numbers and input them into the cars memory permenently. This is for voice dialing mainly.

Hope this helps.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Valen -

I agree with your summary of previous posts, the only addition is that you can voice dial from the handset memory, its just very clunky as it uses automatically generated voice tags - so as you say its easier to transfer them (automatically, individually) to the car's phonebook where you can record your own tags. Its also easier to list & find favourite numbers on the car's phonebook (for me, anyway).

Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now that's a coincidence !

I recently travelled back from Essex to Devon & I did get traffic info - even audible warnings of queueing traffic in the near distance. I was surprised to get any info as I hadn't paid for a service & you usually have to subscribe one way or another.

I did wonder if it only worked when following a route ?

I haven't seen any weather reports yet...

I meant to investigate further because as you say, it mostly says "not available", but I haven't got round to it. I might RTFM at lunch time unless you've had a look at the manual ?

(I know, as with so many manuals, lots of information but not telling you what you want to know)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Valen said:
On another subject, do you know how to get weather and traffic updates working? When I try it says 'information not available' or something.
I think these work automatically on the same sort of system that broadcasts traffic info.

On my 59 reg T31 they never seem to work in the UK, but I have received information sometimes while travelling through Germany, for example.

Maybe they only transmit when there is a specific weather warning ???

·
Registered
671 Posts
Last time I did a long drive from Oban to home, using the sat-nav, the traffic warnings came up automatically. Didn't get any weather info as it was a lovely summers day. It also worked well on South & North Uist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.