Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I'm from the Netherlands. I'm curiuos what this means. In your profile I see for instance, X trail, year 2006, plate 55, or so. What means plate 55??

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Wimbo said:
As you know, I'm from the Netherlands. I'm curiuos what this means. In your profile I see for instance, X trail, year 2006, plate 55, or so. What means plate 55??
Hi Wimbo, this refers to the time the vehicle was bought year and month info in the photo :thumbs:

Left click mouse to open jpeg file

Reg Plate.jpg

Registration Plate YEAR/MONTH

Plate Year-Month jpg.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, now I know. In the Netherlands there is a likewise system, that goes by aphabet. In the early days (Loooong ago) you could even see at the plate, frow whére (city) the car came. Good ol' days.... :grin:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In the UK the licence plate is:-

Two letters which says the area where it was first registered - not very clear like Germany and Slovakia are. For instance, Oxford can be OV, OX or OY.

This is followed by two numbers indicating the registration period of six months - March to August are the actual year, Sepyember to February add 5o to the year (or previous year in the case of January or February.
Examples:-
08 = March 2008 to August 2008
58 = September 2008 to February 2009
09= March 2009 to August 2009
59 = September 2009 to February 2010
10 = March 2010 to August 2010
60 = September 2010 to February 2011
11 = March 2011 to August 2011
61 = September 2011 to February 2012
etc...........

This is then followed by three random letters.

So:- 0Y 58 ABC -s a car first registered in Oxford between September 2008 and February 2009.

You *can* buy specials to make a word, but these can get very expensive.

I rather wanted MU51CAL, but they don't do a U, only V as they can get confused.

This new system started in September 2001.

Before that it was three letters followed by three numbers followed by a letter that denoted the above six month period.

The last was Y which was March to August 2001.

Before that started, it was the other way round - A 123 ABC started in January 1963 - originally it was for a full year startng in January, but got changed to the six months as I described earlier a few years later, I forget when.

The first two of the three letters are the area of first registration - but they are so obscure, most people don't know them.

Before this it was up to three letters and three numbers (or vice versa) - the very first registered car was A 1.

I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
I remember when the new format was launched the Scousers weren't to happy when they bought their new car with a registration starting with MU in it, I thought it was quite funny at the time :lol:

MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MJ, MK, ML, MM, MN, MO, MP, MR, MS, MT, MU, MV, MW, MX, MY
Manchester and Merseyside
Manchester

DVLA Reginal Identifiers

View attachment Regional Identifiers for DVLA Number Plates.pdf

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks a lot for this clear explanation. Helps a lot.
In the Netherlands it's according to alphabet. So, my car is a 01-SB-GP, which means nothing at all... You cannot see from where, from whom or whatever the car is. Only the date of give the car the registaration. But, when you lose your registration papers, you'll get a new registration plate, even when the car is a several years old. The original age is on the papers. Just in case... On the plate itself comes a little 1. (lost my papers) or a 2 (lost my papers for the 2th time)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.