Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owners of my car did'nt keep up with the service intervals on it so its due a good service. My friend runs a vauxhall main dealership and one of his mechanics (who he recommends) used to work for nissan so hopefully I will be in good hands. Unfortunately it will be a week or two before it can be done for one reason or another.

The main problem I have is poor mpg as I'm not getting much more than 30 to the gallon even on motorway runs. The car is a 53 reg 2.2 Di Sport X that has done 51k.

Clearly the mechanic will have a good idea but I would like some clues myself to the problem. Will it need to be plugged into a nissan diagnostic (spelling?) machine? Another site recommended fuel additves?

Cheers Stuart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It would be worth pulling out the air filter and changing, it only takes 5mins and cost about £10 for a genuine one
If car has not been serviced then all filters will need done Oil/Fuel/air, but you know that already. ;)
and thats where you need to start from.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi

Personally I'd start with half a tank of fuel and a bottle of injector cleaner, give it a good blow out down the motorway in 3rd gear (expect to see lots of blue/black smoke from the exhaust), then have it serviced with new filters etc followed by another good dose of injector cleaner. Then check it again.

Xacre

G

·
What sort of fuel consumption should be expected? I'm aware of the qouted Nissan figures, our 2006 2.2DCI gives anything between 34-36 mpg on a mixture of motorway & town driving. I've heard some figures bandied around of over 40mpg, but nothing we do gets us anywhere hear this figure. I'm happy with the towing MPG (in the region og 30mpg) but am wondering should we be expecting more in day to day driving?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Stevie --we lost contact somehow since my computer died
I was wondering if you still had the XT
I would say that 35 mpg is about average
The only way to work it out is to fill the tank full every time and divide distance covered by fuel used
I think that a lot of high mileages are wishful thinking or badly calibrated speedos

G

·
Thnaks for the info, I've got a half used bottle of Millers so might give that a go. I was also thinking of putting a K&N in, see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was also thinking of putting a K&N in, see if that helps at all.
I have a K&N fitted, and to be honest, it dosen't really improve on performance or economy, I had my 1st K&N 'lost' by the dealer during last years sevice, and it took me two months to notice! :oops:

G

·
StevieJ said:
I have a K&N fitted, and to be honest, it dosen't really improve on performance or economy, I had my 1st K&N 'lost' by the dealer during last years sevice, and it took me two months to notice! :oops:
I've used them on a couple of cars, so know what to expect & not expect. I hope you got the dealer to at least give you the cash for a new K&N whether you fitted it or not?

·
Registered
198 Posts
JonJo said:
StevieJ said:
I've used them on a couple of cars, so know what to expect & not expect. I hope you got the dealer to at least give you the cash for a new K&N whether you fitted it or not?
Of course! To be fair, the dealer (Toomey Nissan) didn't argue at all, I provided them with an invoice for the replacement filter from the supplier and they sent me cheque in the post.
I did check the new filter was still there before leaving the garage this time!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update.
Tried the fuel additive, had the car serviced, new discs and pads, some rear suspension bushes changed and bingo!!.

Gone from a measley 30mpg to 39mpg even with the most of it being town work. Been driving it like Miss Daisy though but with current fuel prices you have to. And yes I know they dont work ( allegedly) but I have one of those fuel line magnets fitted now as well!! Trying everything to improve fuel consumption.

Used this site to check mpg. The calculator is on the left side, its quite a good site really.

http://www.torquecars.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts