Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i was the only person who has to pull on the handbrake very tightly i never had to pull it on so much on other cars, is it a common problem. im worried as i just holds my car, what will it be like if i need to do a hillstart with a caravan on the back :| start rolling back down the hill ( that would sound funny if it wasnt me :lol: )

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
hglennie said:
i was wondering if i was the only person who has to pull on the handbrake very tightly i never had to pull it on so much on other cars, is it a common problem. im worried as i just holds my car, what will it be like if i need to do a hillstart with a caravan on the back :| start rolling back down the hill ( that would sound funny if it wasnt me :lol: )
May need adjusting.
Read this link below.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1236

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a known fact that the hand brake is sh**e! I stripped them down to the drum, after the dealer adjusted the cable from the cabin, Piddly little shoes inside the hub!
Practice yer hillstarts for towing!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Join the club mine rolls back when parked on me drive ! dealer ajusted cable what a waste of time, took rear brakes down and replaced shoes and ajusted up all ok , no roll back now with caravan on ,try it might work for ya :thumbs:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could it be rubbish pads? if i was going to strip the brakes down what is the best handbrake pads to replace it with? my handbrake does have a bit of travel but it doesnt seem to be at the end of its working travel i can still heave the lever up but i have to put alot of force into it. would shortening the travel of the lever help?

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
hglennie said:
could it be rubbish pads? if i was going to strip the brakes down what is the best handbrake pads to replace it with? my handbrake does have a bit of travel but it doesnt seem to be at the end of its working travel i can still heave the lever up but i have to put alot of force into it. would shortening the travel of the lever help?
The pads don't control the parking brake it's shoes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The parking brake is like the old drum brakes. They are smallist shoes which contact the inside of the rear disc.
There is also a click adjuster like the old drum brakes.

Best thing is to slacken off the handbrake cable, have the discs removed, sand-paper the shoes and the inside of the rear disc where the shoes contact, then re-assemble and adjust the click adjuster so that the shoes do not bind. Then adjust the cable so that it takes 3 or 4 clicks to engage.

As with the old style drum brakes, the contact surface of the shoes occasionally gets clogged with brake dust and need to be "cleaned" to get them working effectively again. If you ever get your rear discs replaced I suggest you have this done to your handbrake shoes at the same time while everything is apart.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mines ****e as well ... but its just passed the Mot lol ... its like a second gearstick when its fully on lol pointing at the stars! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.