Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, been looking at softroaders (hate that term!) as I will be doing a bit of country path driving at the weekends which are mainly gravel/stones/dirt based with the odd bit of mud thrown in for good measure. I have been looking at the RAV4 but noticed that they have dual mass flywheel problems so my attention has turned to the X-Trail.

I have read loads about the 2.2 Dci engines going through turbos and intercoolers like they were going out of fashion but I was wondering if the 2.2 Di engine also suffers from turbo/intercooler problems? I know that I would be looking at roughly a 2001/2002 2.2 Di SE+ spec but since a 2003 Di SVE is also in the same price range but with the Dci engine is it worth looking at older models or are the just as bad?

Thanks for any advice offered. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

I am thinking seriously about the Di SE+ spec but cant see if it suffers from the same problems as the Dci with 136bhp engine. The only thing I can see online is an honestjohn review where it says that the timing chain can sometimes work loose and rattle but nothing about turbo or intercooler problems. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ni ... ection=bad

On early 112bhp 2.2 diesels, listen for timing chain/tensioner rattles and check for losing power. Noticeable between 1,500 and 2,000rpm. Rattling timing chains caused by fracture of the timing chain guides inside the chain cover on some but not all 112bhp 2.2 litre diesels. May also see white smoke. Seizing of diesel pump due to lack of lubricity in the fuel can snap the chains of all 2.2 diesels.
From reading that it doesnt say anything wherether they have a turbo/intercooler at all. Can anyone confirm whether the 112 bhp models actually have a turbo and intercooler? If not, is there anything else that I should be looking out for when viewing them?

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.