Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst visiting a customer in my rural Norfolk a driver coming the other way simply didn't want to give way which caused me to swing over into verge where I hit a huge pothole........arghhhhh - other driver simply passed in middle of road!!!!!!

I got out and had a look around and all seemed fine - tyre and wheel ok and nothing looking loose. Car drives in straight line etc and all seemed fine then as I accelerated the red brake warning light came on and then the amber anti-skid lights lit up - arghhhhh. Tap brakes and all seemed ok so found a spot to pull over and had a closer look underneath - nothing odd. Checked brake fluid reservoir and that was up to correct level so stumped. Got back in, started car and no lights....................drive along road and as I accelerate red light comes on then goes out and the 2 amber lights only came on when accelerating harder. Pull hand brake on and red light comes on and release and it goes off but no amber anti skid lights. This morning only red light came on twice with no anti-skid. From starting you can switch off the anti skid but only one amber light shows so no idea what's going on. Garage did a quick check for me and no leaks and so could carry on. No codes come up either.

Booked in for proper check next week so no idea what's going on - just wonder if it rattled brake pads/abs sensor as I now get a squeak squeak squeak when I turn right!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible but it seems odd the brake light comes on only when accelerating - just as if reservoir is low.......................after that coming on twice the ABS stuff come on!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just guessing; maybe something to do with the abs/wheel speed sensor at the wheel that hit the pot hole, it picks up signals from the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Sensor would not light up the red light. Handbrake lever, brake fluid level low, or something from the abs module will light up the red light

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well garage had a good look over the car and could find nothing wrong except the fluid was down at min level hence accelerate lifting front so light came on.

They suspect rear brake pads may need changing as I also get a squeak when turning right; not apparent if braking.

Goes in couple of weeks for MOT so they'll sort then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Norfolk Jim said:
Well garage had a good look over the car and could find nothing wrong except the fluid was down at min level hence accelerate lifting front so light came on.

They suspect rear brake pads may need changing as I also get a squeak when turning right; not apparent if braking.

Goes in couple of weeks for MOT so they'll sort then.
In your original post you said that you'd checked the brake fluid reservoir and that was up to correct level. Now the fluid is down at min level. Are you sure about your first statement? If true, you've got another fault.

I have had ESP and ABS lights come on after a short journey. It proved to be low fluid. Apparently the the red brake warning light should have come on next. Topped it up and the warnings went away.

Was a little peeved at the time, because I'd had the brake fluid changed at a recent service and thought that they may have been a little too frugal in allowing for brake wear when topping up. That changed later when it happened again - low brake fluid again. At neither instance had I noticed any signs of a leak and the second time I looked hard. I took it back to the garage where they discovered fluid leaking from beneath the banjo bolts on both front calipers. It was repaired free of charge but they had tried to bullsh1t me - telling me that it must be corrosion of the copper washers. Both sides at the same time with no indication of green corrosion products! The manager and I knew that the mechanic who had done the service etc and changed the lower wishbones at the same time was probably lazy and let the calipers hang on the brake hoses whilst changing - hence loosening the banjo bolts. By tacit agreement he didn't charge, I didn't push it and the mechanic was "let go".

However, I later had cause to regret not making a fuss - I started finding oil dripping from the undertray. It proved to be from the oil filter cover. The same mechanic had apparently cross threaded the cover and over tightened it, jamming the thread and cracking the cover in the process. It was a real pig to get off and, true to form, Nissan didn't stock it so had to purchase a Renault item via eBay.

That was from a national chain of autocentres (not Halfords).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did check it but it seems not carefully enough - but to my defence the mechanic did have to look very closely at it as at first he thought it was up to level. He tested with a small cocktail stick type thing to make sure. needless to say the sides of the reservoir have now been cleaned up nicely!!

All seems to be ok but the interesting thing was the red light had to come on twice before ABS and anti-skid lights came on - opposite of yours!! We'll see what brake pads are like on rear next week when in. It had new discs and pads all round when I bought it Dec 2018 with 157k - it's now done 182k so 25k miles and I'm not heavy on brakes

·
Registered
75 Posts
Norfolk Jim said:
I did check it but it seems not carefully enough - but to my defence the mechanic did have to look very closely at it as at first he thought it was up to level. He tested with a small cocktail stick type thing to make sure. needless to say the sides of the reservoir have now been cleaned up nicely!!

All seems to be ok but the interesting thing was the red light had to come on twice before ABS and anti-skid lights came on - opposite of yours!! We'll see what brake pads are like on rear next week when in. It had new discs and pads all round when I bought it Dec 2018 with 157k - it's now done 182k so 25k miles and I'm not heavy on brakes
In some ways the X-Trail electronics are too clever by far. The oil level indication on the dash is one such. Having changed the oil on one occasion, I started the engine to get the "Oil Level Low" message. Dipstick read all OK etc. After much head scratching, googling looking for wires etc that may have been disturbed, found the answer. On the T31 the system takes an oil level reading when the drivers door is opened and ignition has been off for more than 5 minutes. Open the door when oil is draining and ignition has been off sufficiently long it takes a low reading. Leave it open whilst filling etc and that will be the reading displayed when you get in close the door and start up.

The brake interlock is another. After the car has been standing for a while and the servo assist bled down, you may need to pump the brake before you hold it down to start the car. otherwise you may not be able to depress the brake sufficiently hard to activate the interlock. No doubt I'll be caught out by more such "features" before I change the car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thems odd things to be sure!!

With engine management light on I've found voice activation from steering wheel won't work. If I erase the fault code the voice recognition works - why!!!! The engine doesn't speak back lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts