Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a power loss problem, not like the other ones described on here my car just wont get any faster seems to be about 2000rpm it hangs back then picks up a few seconds later, no lights come on for engine managment and when nissan plugged car in they couldnt find anything wrong, its far worse when towing or if you try and overtake something it does it then, it was serviced in april and had new filters fitted, my dad thinks it may be the turbo, does anyone have any ideas?? thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our last one did this. I first changed the fuel filter, no change, then stripped and cleaned the EGR valve which is mounted behind the engine on the top of the exhaust manifold. 4 screws and off comes the top. Quite carbonised, so cleaned and lubricated it. Put it back together and bingo full power restored.
Colin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks will get other half to try this later, did yours smoke black smoke while it had the power loss? i noticed when towing today when mine has the power loss it also smokes black smoke and it has power loss and smoke quite alot when towing, will try the valve thing and let you know thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
just to add to this, my 2003 td sport has power loss and is going into "Limp mode". Going to garage tomorrow to get looked, after reading through a few threads i can see this is a mine field...so will keep you posted on the outcome :headbang:

·
Registered
6 Posts
As an add on to this.......
We bought our 04 plate 2.2dci sport 8 weeks ago, one of the faults it had to go back for was a complete loss of power when pulling up a steep hill. On returning to the dealer the computer was reporting a fault in the boost control solenoid valve. They replaced this but the fault still remained. The fault was subsequently traced to a loose pin in the wiring harness which must have parted when pulling uphill, however since replacing the solenoid valve there has be a complete loss of power from the engine.... some hills can only be managed in 1st gear.... and the dealer has said that there is no fault on the car. I have done further investigation myself and I am sure that the new valve is not working correctly and that little or no vacuum is being applied to the boost control actuator (removing the vacuum pipe from the valve does not result in any more loss in performance, and connecting directly to the actuator gives back plenty of performance, though not properly controlled). I think I have persuaded the dealer of this and another solenoid valve is arriving tomorrow....... We really hope this works and we get a turbo diesel back instead of the standard diesel we've ended up with.

The other thing I noticed was that since the valve was replaced the the engine lost its power I have noticed a fair bit of sooty black smoke when towing. The smoke does not appear to be oily and the residue wiped off the front of the caravan with a damp cloth.

The other faults it had to go back for, following a complete service and brake check were:

Overfilled with oil... Choked air filter... AC not working... front brake discs corroded and warped... front brake calliper frozen... rear brake discs badly corroded... rear brake slides frozen... front seat belts not retracting... radiator mounts loose and tracking reset.

So Beware dealers who say all promises will be delivered.

Other than that we realy love the X-Trail and once this problem is sorted we will be happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,i had a similar problem with power loss and replaced the air mass sensor at a cost of £294, the power was restored to almost 100% but it didn`t cure the smoke problem when accelerating, this problem is driving me mad, there is so much smoke, that when you look in the mirror, you can`t see behind you, i`ve been quoted £2000 to replace the injectors and the ECU but it might be something simpler, has anyone got any ideas? eg filters,cat,exhaust etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mornin,found a local mechanic who is going to remove and clean the EGR and inlet manifold, reset the injector timing, reset the fuel pump, fit a new fuel filter and run the car for an hour on injector cleaner for just £100, i`m hopin that will do the job. will keep you posted. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
as posted earlier, ive had the EGR valve blanked off (it was siezed open), the inlet manifold de-gunked, the fuel pump set and the injector timing set, the result was AWESOME, the first time i took the car out i couldn`t believe the power,(more than its ever had) no flat spots, no smoke, just smooth power all the way through, the best £100 ive spent in ages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.