Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

i have a 2005 x trail with 73k on the clock, i had a few problems months ago with power loss and what felt like either no turbo or a fuel problem. Soon after i posted the problem went away and i have had no issues since until today, the car had power loss once again. I have had no warning lights or ecu warning etc and when i took it to my dealer they said it had no fault codes ???

Since reading the forums and seeing posts similar to mine i have done the fuel filter and air filter and too it for a drive, at first it seemed fine with no problems then it has done it again, agin with no warning lights etc. A quick on and off with the key and its fine !!!

Is this the dreaded fuel pump issue that has been mentioned or could it be something silly like the turbo actuator ?? I have noticed a pipe to the actuator being very thin walled and possibly this is closing cutting power to the turbo maybe ??

Anyone any idea because there are no fault codes etc to be found yet

tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard of a similar problem with a couple of Primeras with this engine recently. No turbo problems reported. The fix was getting the fuel pump reset at Nissan. One of the engines however did need a new SCV (suction control valve) in the fuel pump but this was much cheaper than a replacement fuel pump. Might be worth getting it reset and go from there?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a similar problem, cure for me was a replacement fuel suction valve and fuel pump off as it was 'a bit stiff' and needed freeing up, fuel suction valve replacement alone wasn't enough to cure the problem apparently!

I don't think this is a problem the dealers completely understand, so best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had an ongoing battle with the dealer we bought the car from and one of the problems was a sudden loss of power whilst driving uphill.

The initial problem was put in by the dealer which was a wiring fault to the the boost control solenoid valve ( this did show as a fault on the fault diagnoses but no warning lights showed) they replaced the valve before finding the wiring fault but Nissan supplied them with a faulty valve.... turbo did not run but no faults showed at all. I persuaded them to replace the valve again as the complete power loss did not occur until they replaced the valve, but again it was replaced with a faulty one. Eventually (after they said the car was unfixable) they replaced the valve with a known working one from a Primera and the problem disappeared and the third valve from Nissan has worked without a fault since.

The car had an outstanding recall which involved replacing the ECM which controls the turbo.... when plugging it back in they knocked out one of the pins on the wire to the boost control valve which disconnected when pulling uphill causing the sudden power loss.

Any of the vacuum hoses collapsing or leaking can also cause this problem.

Attached is an extract from the Tino manual which describes how to diagnose the valve. (I don't have the manual for the X-trail yet)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.