Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be worth comparing dealers charges for services.

my last X-trail (04 dci Sport)cost around £160 for the M1 & M2 then £250 for the M3

2008 model 2.0 dci, different dealer is around £100 more for each service.

Xacre

G

·
2008 dci 150 M1 service cost £192 at Chorley Nissan. Free courtesy car (Micra roller skate!) and a very good wash & vac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just been quoted £99 by Kent auto panels of folkstone and ashford for a P1 service, i was told i needed an anti-freeze change which would be an extra £25

Dumpton Park broadstairs(where i got the car) P1 £125 + £52.35 for an anti freeze change

Baileys canterbury(who gave the best price of £195 for my p2 last year) quoted £180 for P1

Dumpton park and KAP were offering £20 off if got the M.O.T down at the same time, but realised that was due this week, and i prefer using an MOT only business as i feel they don't manipulate you into getting extra stuff done at the time.

It feels good to play them off against each other, am doing the same with tyre sellers and my lowest quote for 2 tyres is £140 less than the highest(exact same tyre type and make)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just rang around my three nearest Nissan dealers for a price on a second (M2) service for my wife's T31 173. One never called back, another quoted £285, and the third was talking over £400 until I mentioned the £285 quote. They suggested that the £285 quote may not include a fuel filter change or a pollen filter change. I'm waiting for the £285 quoting dealer to confirm this.

When asking for price on a standard M2 service you'd think you'd be getting quotes on the same thing from any franchised dealer, but this doesn't seem to be the case. When you get to over three years old you can use Nissan Fixed Price Servicing. This itemises everything in the service and has a nationwide standard price that is much cheaper than the service charges before the car is three years old.

I find it hard to think of a justification for this complexity and inconsistency.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have just paid £410 for an M3 service in Kettering, including a pollon filter and a brake fluid change which were extras.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Windsors of Wallasey on The Wirral.

First year service in 2008 = £ 194.88
Second year service in 2009 = £ 197.73
Third year service in 2010 = £ 340.86 (inc MOT)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I am amazed at your service costs and service (including a valet etc.) in the South...

Us lads in the North (in the sticks of darkest Cumbria) have limited choice in Dealers to go to.

Can I first say that I am generally very happy with my Xtrail, I like the style and driving position. However, my experience of Nissan Dealer Servicing is not good I'm afraid, Northern National Group Ben***ld Carlisle. Due to lack of competition, in Cumbria, my experience is that they seem to charge what they can get away with. I have looked through my service costs for the last six years, and the prices are not good reading, I do not think it represents a "fair" deal and Customer Care is lacking....

2006 M1 Service (11856 miles) £201.52,
2007 M2 Service (17946 miles) £220.96, (reduced Service works undertaken "due to low mileage")
2008 M3 Service + MOT (26165 miles) £313.02,
(reduced Service works undertaken "due to low mileage")

2008 bought Nissan Extended Warranty for a further two years for £459.00, to keep my repair costs down, or so I thought...

2009 M1 Service + MOT including replacing defective discs all round inc. pads (33546 miles) £815.43,

Not happy, and feeling I had wasted my £459, I took it up with the Carlisle Dealer, Nissan UK, "Nissan Extended Warranty" and the Financial Services Ombudsman, did not know about this Forum at that time, finally after a battle for almost a year I received cheque from "Nissan Extended Warranty" (in fact through "Car Care Plan" not a lot of people know that!!) in the sum of £501.93 in settlement

2010 local garage service + MOT and replacement of defective front discs [after only twelve months] and pads (39494 miles) £248.68 [Last year I had the car serviced at a "local garage" with its MOT, and felt that I paid a very reasonable prices.]

2011 13/07/2011 M3 Service, and repair to power steering fluid leak - with an alternative Nissan Dealer (formerly a Renault Dealership in Penrith with an "excellent service reputation") (47k miles costs to be confirmed)

So as my car is back to the alternative Dealer on Wednesday for an M3 Service, and power steering - we will see what the damage is this time.

Hope this is of use, sorry it is so long, best wishes, John

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Tatey,
Thanks for reminding me, "Brodies Prime" and Jennings are our compensation for all the rain we have in Cumbria. Possibly if we tried offering it to Nissan Dealerships they may "lighten up" and drop their prices.... Or maybe not. :lol: :lol:
Best wishes, John

·
Registered
662 Posts
John,

Didn't try Brodies Prime 2 weeks ago in Hawkshead, or his lager as I am a fan of the bitter, but you do have some wonderful beer up there! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorry, Posted this in the wrong place earlier...

Further to my previous posts about Dealer Service, can I just say that the Penrith Dealer could not be more helpful, and I was made to feel that I really was the "customer" again, unlike my previous experience of the Carlisle Dealer.

I returned yesterday to check out what appeared to be a fluid leak following the replacement of the power steering cooling loop tubes and associated pipework ( :eek: £314.09 + fitting and VAT :eek: ). They confirmed that this "leak" was in fact excess fluid from the removal of the tubes; fluid had found its way into the front chassis sections and was now finding its way out. My drive is on a slight fall on it, so the front would be lower and this seems a logical explanation, we will see over the next few days.

Does anyone know if the power steering fluid can do any harm to the car?

Whilst the car was in I was asked if I wanted the sump replaced as it was showing signs of excessive corrosion. This is not surprising given the last couple of winters and we seem to get our fair share of rain here in Cumbria. This added a further £154.75 + fitting and of course the Government's VAT. I was surprised to see that the sump is just mild steel (with a thin paint coat on) I must ensure I give this some "protection" before winter.

So to sum up the M3 Service and MOT cost just short of £400 inc VAT - which I did not think was too bad.

Unfortunately the power steering pipework and sump brought the total bill to £1076.29, including the good old VAT. This is without doubt the biggest garage bill I have ever had for service and repair on any vehicle over the last forty + years of car ownership.

I guess this guarentees that I will be keeping this car for a few months...

:bigcry: Tatey I think I may be "crying in my beer" over this one...

Thanks for listening... Best wishes, John

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds very painful to me! Beer is the answer. :roll:
What make/type of air horns did you get & from where & were they simple to fit?
I would like something a little louder. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thanks Tatey,

Yes, the beer makes all the difference, mind you then this text becomes challenging. :lol:

I fitted my air horn about four years ago, from what I remember I bought it from Halfords, however you can get them through the internet - paste link below into your browser. The model is a Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn, which as the name suggests is really compact all in one unit. I see they are still under forty pounds and really easy to fit, I just lifted off the front grill and mounted it on a bracket in front of the radiator. I am not a particularly accomplished mechanic but it was well within my capability - so you should have no problem fitting one. When I learn how to upload photographs I will enter a post to show the installation.

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?ma ... s_id=87527

Hope this helps, best wishes, John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts