Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a musician. I love music. I love good music, which have not to be loud. Of course, sometimes I turn on the amp to (forbidden) 8 or 9 (ELO yeah!!)
But... the sound quality of the X trail speakes is rotten (Xcuse my French) They prevent me from play the music loud, so to say. (My wifes Citroen C4 sounds like an concert hall for instance....)
So, I like to put new/other speakers in the doors and maybe tweeters in the front pillar. I have looked in the little "flaps" that are in the dashboard corners (Yeah, I've seen the threat) but there are no wires. Has anyone done this already? Are there bears on the road? I mean: power off the radio is- or can be a problem in combination with the NATS system. Is this realy thruth? Are there more things I need to know? What kinda amp is in the X trail? 4 times 50 Watt? More, less?
What I like: dynamic and brite sound, no pumping bass. 2 or 3 way system in one mounting (No extra tweeters on the doors)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Have you been drinking Wimbo? :lol: "are there bears on the road" (zijn er beren op de weg)- what's all that about?

X Trails don't have the best sound systems but better than some other makes. Have a chat with hyglennie as he has upgraded his sound system and fitted new speakers and tweeters He'll tell you all about it :thumbs:

·
Registered
210 Posts
vandy beat me to it by about 3 minutes... like you i am also a musican but of the drummer kind anyway if your wanting good quality music them component speakers are known to give better results, which the tweeters would go under the little flap things and the woofer would go in the door which is rather obv but the crossover that separates the frequences into the two speakers needs a bit of work to do it right, the input from the amp needs to go into the crossover then out into the door via the wiring harness behind the radio and the tweeter wire also goes into the crossover (i assure you the tweeter wires will be there but they are very well hidden, not that you'll need them) my cross overs for both right and left are behind the speedo guages as theres alot of wasted space behind then. as for feeding wires behind the dash well that just needs some common sence.
if on the other hand you only want to put in two or three way speakers then you just pop the door panels off and screw the adapters into the door (after using rubber sealant inbetween them to stop excess vibration) and screw speakers into adapters and plug wires in and thats that.
There is absolutly no issue with any conflict with the nats system when changing the headunit the only thing that might not work is the streering wheel controls which can be made to work with the right adapter.
if you get a new headunit i would completely recommend getting an external amp as with most cars the amp is built into the headunit, the best kind are kenwood in my opinion, a kenwood headunit and kenwood 4 channel amp with four door speakers would give the best sound.
the speakers in the xtrail are rated 40w max which is likely what the headunit would put out, When buying speakers and amps remember to look at the RMS rating and not the peak output, as the peak outlook or max means nothing, I have 80w rms in the door speakers and that gives good clean sound which doesnt distort..

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bears on the road (I'm a cloggie you know!!) means: are there strange or dangerous things ahead, in this case: are there things I must be aware of? If you have troubles with expressions, I'll be there to help you!! (LOL) :lol: :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm an expression man. But, the kinda expressions are different by far, in diffrent countries....!! :bigcry:
But thanks for the answers (Special Vandy's... LOL) I know 'bout RMS etc. and I'm aware of how to do things. The most easy way to do is, is, buy 4 good (Kenwood, Magnat, Infinity, Pioneer) 2 - or 3 way speakers for - let's say - 300 € all toghether; get the old ones replaced with the new ones. It's sad to see, that the big speaker-towers in shops are gone. Then you could LISTEN to speakers instead of judge them by eye or specifications (Manufacturers always lie about the specs, I know...)
But one of these days I publish the results.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell yeah....!! That's what I had in mind!!!! :bow: :lol: :thumbs:
(Is it thuth that this car has 3 extra batteries??) :mrgreen:

@ Higlenny: What are the opening hours in Perth.... LOL ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.