Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
As you may have seen from my intro post, I am considering buying an Xtrail. My only reservation being reports of turbos and intercoolers blowing up. How common is this problem, and what if any signs are there to look out for if I go to veiw some cars before buying.
I also read that Nissan have upped the warranty to five years on the turbos, is this true? So if I bought a 2005 Xtrail, I'd have cover on the turbo until 2010 or is it five years from when they announced it? Is this also true of the intercooler?

One last question, has anyone found a work around for the intercooler problem. I read somewhere (might have been here even) someone was testing out welding the joints or something like that, and also are there any other vehicles that share the intercooler, as I have 2 very good breakers yards near me, so should there be a problem I ight be able to source a replacement easilly.

I had a problem on my first PT cruiser to do with the turbo and related pipes and it turned out to be very costly and time consuming to fix. I really dont want to get caught with a problem like that again!

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi

2005 intercooler is about 300 notes to replace with a oem version so not too bad....
Turbo does have issues usually related from oil leaks from the intercooler.
Newer xt have a garrett turbo - now bomb proof, not sure about your age of vehicle but I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks. Most turbos if hot just need a cool off of a min before turnng off engine - this enables the seals to resettle/cool off abit.

Cheers
Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts